Candice Brown says GBBO judge will be 'incredible'
Candice Brown thinks whoever takes Mary Berry's judging job on the 'Great British Bake Off' will be "incredible."
The lip sticking-wearing baker - who won the competition last year when it aired on the BBC - has no idea who bosses have lined up to join Paul Hollywood on the judging panel once the series shifts across to Channel 4 later this year, but is confident that the show will be "really good" regardless of who they get because they'll put a different spin on it.
Speaking on 'This Morning' on Friday (17.02.17), Candice said: "I haven't heard anything, but whoever they get will be incredible. It's going to be different, people have different qualities and bring different things to it. The bakers will be different and Paul will still be on it and he's great. I'm looking forward to it I think it'll be really good."
Prue Leith is the hot favourite to replace the baking queen on the show but, although she has admitted she is "close" to landing her "dream job", she believes she still has competition from someone else at the moment.
She said recently: "I'm certainly one of the runners. I can wish. I can dream. I've had two auditions with them and lots of meetings. So I mean I think I'm close but I know there are two people in the running. One other person. Of course I'd love to do it. Who wouldn't want to do it? I've known Mary for years and she loved it."
Although she's not yet bagged the role, producers are said to be keen to snap up Prue for the show because she carries similarities to 81-year-old Mary and they're hoping her laid back personality will allow viewers to warm to her.
A source said of the 76-year-old restaurateur: "Both are from similar backgrounds, so hopefully viewers will be accepting and give Prue a chance to win them over.
"Following in Mary's footsteps is a big challenge. But the producers are confident that Prue has all the attributes."
And she's not the only potential new face to grace screens when the popular show, which first aired on BBC Two in 2010 and remained with the broadcaster for six years, shifts to Channel 4 in a few months' time as bosses are also looking for a replacement for previous hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins.
The 'Great British Bake Off' hit the headlines in September when it was announced that Love Productions - the makers of the series - had chosen to accept a three-year deal from Channel 4 after negotiations between them and the BBC broke down because they weren't willing to offer a large enough sum.
Within hours of the news breaking, Mel and Sue - who have fronted the programme since it first hit screens six years ago - revealed they had quit their roles as hosts in order to explore other ventures.
A few days later, Mary decided she too would step down as a judge on the show out of "loyalty" to the BBC, while her co-judge Paul, 50, caused a storm when he accepted Channel 4's offer to remain with the series.