progress WATCH: Scars of surgery still healing on Virgil van Dijk's knee as Liverpool release fresh video
Liverpool fans have been given an insight in Virgil van Dijk's attempts to recover from a serious knee injury, after the club released a video showing the Dutch defender edging closer to a return to training.
Van Dijk has not played since injuring knee ligaments in a clash with Everton keeper Jordan Pickford in October, with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp confirming he does not expect the defender to play again this season.
Yet Van Dijk is believes to be keen to push for an quicker return that could give him a chance to play for Holland at this summer's European Championship finals.
"I have spoken to him, he is going to the field. There can be all kinds of setbacks. A week or two of setbacks could mean he canโt play games for Liverpool," said Holland boss Frank De Boer.
"Then I can imagine that they say: โNice, but you can focus on next season.โ Ultimately, he must have a good feeling himself. Iโm glad heโs on the right track.
"We will see. I'm not putting any pressure on him at all. He must do it himself and must have confidence in it himself. The choice mainly lies with him.
"It is not my decision but to be honest the information I have at the moment is that it will be unlikely.
"So it's not that I donโt let them go, because I donโt want to have to do that anyway, it is because of the extent of the injuries."
It is anticipated that Van Dijk would need to return to action for Liverpool this season to have a chance to play at the Euros and he certainlky appears to be pushing for a return on the latest video.
With the scars of his knee surgery still evident in photo's released by the club, he may not play again until the start of next season.
Yet the sight of Van Dijk edging closer to a return is a big boost for Liverpool fans in a week when their side went out of the Champions League against Real Madrid.
Download the Sunday World app
- Newcastle players running on empty as Covid impact takes its toll โ Steve Bruce
- Football rumours from the media
- Champions League final Europe's old guard dreaded becomes a reality as Chelsea beat Real Madrid
- Manchester United face three games in five days as Liverpool match rescheduled
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with a message for Man United fans after Old Trafford protests
- First Dates Ireland finale to air after Maitre d' Mateo announces baby's birth
- 'Unusually cold' temperatures bring frosty start to May but warmer weather is coming
- Designer handbags, 12 luxury watches, โฌ80k in cash and drugs worth โฌ220k seized by CAB
- Pensioner (70s) dies after fire at his home in Cork
- Niall Horan getting 'serious' with girlfriend Amelia Woolley as they enjoy day out in London