big decision Tottenham's bid to recruit Mauricio Pochettino once again hits a stumbling block
Tottenham have spoken to Mauricio Pochettino about a sensational return to the club, but it appears their hopes of luring the Argentine back to north London may have got complicated.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy sacked Pochettino in November 2019, just a few months after he led the club to their first Champions League final.
Now he is keen to bring back a manager who is hugely popular with Spurs fans, as he looks to reclaim some credibility after a disastrous few weeks that included him signing the club up to the ill-fated European Super League.
While Tottenham supporters would celebrate the return of Pochettino, it appears that his 'dream job' may also be on offer this summer after reports in Spain suggested Real Madrid are also interested in signing the coach currently in charge at Paris Saint-Germain.
Real Madrid tried to recruit Pochettino during his time as Spurs boss, but Levy would not allow him to speak to the Spanish giants, even though he former Southampton manager has admitted it is his dream to coach the 13-time European champions.
Following Zinedine Zidane's resignation on Tuesday, Pochettino is now believed to be a leading candidate for to replace him, with Real Madrid President Florentino Perez a firm admirer.
So Pochettino could be faced with the ultimate choice if PSG agree to allow him to leave, even though he has one year left to run on his contract.
Pochettino's family still live in London and he has expressed a desire to return to Spurs before he ends his coaching career, yet it remains to be seen whether this is the moment for him to realise that dream.
The first decision in this story lies with PSG and if they decide they are willing to allow Pochettino to leave, he could be presented with the option of two jobs that are both laced with opportunity and peril.
Antonio Conte is also being strongly linked with both the Real Madrid and Tottenham jobs after he quit as Inter Milan head coach earlier this week.
- Jadon Sancho talks stall as Manchester United make their move for a fresh target
- Brighton reject Arsenal bid for Englandâ€™s Ben White
- Watford signing Danny Rose on â€˜scaryâ€™ experience as a free agent during pandemic
- Free agent Danny Rose signs two-year deal with Watford
- 'There was always this buzz around him' - Rio Ferdinand on why Man United need Jadon Sancho
- Foster mum tells child abuse trial how boy "didnâ€™t know how to use a knife and fork"
- Man (38) avoids jail for 'campaign of harassment' against woman he met on escort website
- Convicted rapist Ian Horgan accused of registering with online dating app 'under assumed name'
- Convicted rapist allegedly made death threats against barristers
- Fine Gael candidate James Geoghegan reveals his first son almost died during pregnancy