crushing | 

Stephen Kenny bemoans manner of late goal as Ireland lose at home to Norway

Omoijuanfo snatched the visitors victory with his first senior international goal at the Aviva Stadium after Alan Browne had cancelled out Leo Ostigard’s opener.

Norway shoots past Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu to score his first international goal and Norway's second, in the 85th minute, during the International Friendly match between Republic of Ireland and Norway at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin. Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile© SPORTSFILE

Damien SpellmanPA Media

Substitute Ohi Omoijuanfo made light of Erling Haaland’s absence as Norway struck late to beat the Republic of Ireland 2-1 in Dublin.

Omoijuanfo snatched the visitors victory with his first senior international goal at the Aviva Stadium after Alan Browne had cancelled out Leo Ostigard’s opener.

It was a kick in the teeth for Stephen Kenny’s men, who had rallied after a pedestrian first half to look the team more likely to win the game after the break.

They will head for Malta on Sunday knowing there are issues to address before they open their Euro 2024 campaign in March with a daunting fixture against France.

Kenny was unhappy with the way his team conceded the decisive goal, as he gave his verdict to RTE: “We didn’t create chances in the first half, though neither did they. The only chances they created was when they intercepted one of Gavin’s passes, so it was a real tactical battle in the first half.

“But second half, we were much better in that we switched the play quicker, were able to overload in wide areas with Matt Doherty and Callum O’Dowda. That was a big difference for us and we got a lot of penetration from that as the game opened up.

“But just to concede the goal we did just absolutely undid all our good work. All the good work we did to get back in the game, we undid it just in a moment of not being able to defend that wide free-kick.”

Norway enjoyed the better of the early exchanges with Arsenal’s Martin Odegaard pulling the strings impressively.

But manager Stale Solbakken will have been disappointed with the way they wilted in the face of the Irish riposte before Omoijuanfo’s late intervention, with testing trips to Spain and Georgia awaiting them next year.

With Cardiff’s Callum O’Dowda lining up in an unaccustomed left wing-back role, Ireland started confidently to push Norway back into their own half, and Callum Robinson fired wide from distance with less than three minutes played.

The visitors responded with Mohamed Elyounoussi causing problems, and the Southampton midfielder blazed a sixth-minute attempt high over.

Skipper John Egan had to be at his best to block Elyounoussi’s 22nd-minute shot after the wide man had been played in behind Nathan Collins and Patrick Berg blazed over from Odegaard’s cross at the resulting corner.

Jorgen Strand Larsen fired wastefully over and goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu was troubled by Odegaard’s speculative free-kick with the Republic rather losing their way.

The home side enjoyed a let-off when Elyounoussi slipped before he could shoot after carving his way into the penalty area 12 minutes before the break, but they were not so fortunate with five minutes of the half remaining.

Ostigard timed his run to perfection to get in front of Egan and head Odegaard’s corner past Bazunu to give Norway a deserved lead.

Ireland returned with much greater purpose and might have been level within five minutes.

O’Dowda and Robinson combined down the left for the striker to lift a cross into the middle where Browne just failed to get to it and the unsuspecting Egan bundled the ball just wide as he tried to react.

Morten Thorsby was relieved to see his attempted clearance trickle past a post rather than inside it after Michael Obafemi had made his presence felt, and keeper Orjan Nyland denied Browne at point-blank range.

Bazunu kept Kenny’s men in the game with a 58th-minute save from Ola Solbakken after he had exchanged passes with Thorsby, but the general trend was very much in the other direction.

O’Dowda failed to make the most of a headed opportunity at the far post, but it was from his 69th-minute cross that his side forced their way back into it.

Ostigard could only head the ball to Browne on the edge of the box and he sent a skidding shot inside the post despite Nyland’s best efforts.

However, there was to be a late twist when, after Collins failed to deal with an 85th-minute Odegaard free-kick, substitute Omoijuanfo stabbed home to win it.

A disappointed Browne told RTE: “I thought first half, we were a bit flat. There was no real zip to our game. We were playing around the back at times and didn’t really break their press.

“But it’s tough against any team when they just sit in, they’re compact and you have to try to get around the sides of them. They nullified us really well.

“Second half, we came out definitely the stronger of the two teams and it’s obviously disappointing to lose the game.

“It just fell to the player in the box, which is unfortunate. Conceding from two set-pieces is really poor.”

Today's Headlines

More Soccer

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos