| 10°C Dublin

new footage Romelu Lukaku confirms he wanted to stay at Inter in new footage from his explosive interview

Close

Romelu Lukaku's interview with Sky Sports in Italy has ruffled feathers

Romelu Lukaku's interview with Sky Sports in Italy has ruffled feathers

Romelu Lukaku's interview with Sky Sports in Italy has ruffled feathers

Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku says he turned down a move to Manchester City in 2020 and only decided to swap Inter Milan for Stamford Bridge when his request for a new contract in Italy was rejected during the summer.

Lukaku used his bombshell 29-minute interview with Sky in Italy, recorded earlier in December, to tell old Inter Milan team-mate Laurtaro Martinez not to sign for Chelsea, and to “stay in Milan... I'll be back there”, it has emerged.

In new footage released today, a laughing Lukaku jokes the strike partner he would “die for” is best off staying in Serie A, after revealing his own desire to return to Italy amid his '”nhappines”' at Chelsea.

In the interview, Lukaku said he was "not happy" with his situation at Chelsea, questioning Thomas Tuchel's system and talking up the prospect of returning to Inter while he is still playing at a "good enough level".

Tuchel conceded the comments are "not helpful" as they "bring noise that we don't need", but claimed the striker looks far from unsettled at Chelsea.

In a second part of the interview released on Friday, Lukaku said he decided to stay in Italy last summer and would "100 per cent" still be there if the club granted him his wish of a new deal in the summer.

"When I was at Inter, at the end of the first year, I turned down an offer from Manchester City which was higher than Chelsea's this summer," Lukaku said.

"I did it because it had only been a year, it wasn't the right time to leave and I didn't want to. I wanted to do something good for Inter, because I have to say that Inter saved my career to some extent.”

Lukaku talked up the prospect of returning to Inter.

"I was in a deep hole at Manchester United, things weren't going well. I was a big investment for Inter but we did great things together.

"So the second year after we won the Scudetto, I went to speak with club chiefs and asked for a new contract. I did it because I told myself I'm 28 years old, my family feels great in Milan, I still have my flat there, my mother and my son could come and live there and we would all feel comfortable.

"But they didn't want to extend my contract, the possibility wasn't there. It was tough for me to accept, because in my head I told myself that I would be able to do a few more years in Milan."

"In my opinion, there are three absolute top teams in football - Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Every player dreams of playing for one of these teams one day. So I thought if I ever had that possibility, I would sign a new contract with Inter and then go there.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"But it didn't happen, so I told myself that there is only one team where I could possibly see myself - Chelsea. I wasn't thinking about going there, but at one point they came in for me and so I asked [Inter boss Simone] Inzaghi to leave.

"The fact that they didn't try to make me sign a new contract bothered me a bit, it hurt me even. If Inter offered me a new contract, I would have stayed 100 per cent. That goes without saying.

"Also, the fact that I hadn't won anything in England in eight years there bothered me a lot. So it was hard to turn down the chance to come back here with the team I have supported since I was a child."

The impact of the extraordinary interview has been severe for Chelsea, with the story dominating Friday's press conference.

Despite the apparent breakdown between player and head coach, it does not appear that it will lead to an imminent parting of ways.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the striker has no intention of leaving Stamford Bridge next month despite claiming he is unhappy there. Sources close to the player told the publication that there was “zero chance” of him moving away.

It is understood the interview surprised even Lukaku’s representatives, with the forward saying: “Physically, I am fine. But I’m not happy with the situation at Chelsea. Tuchel has chosen to play with another system.

“I won’t give up, I’ll be professional. I am not happy with the situation, but I am professional - and I can’t give up now.”

It comes at a time when Chelsea’s title challenge has come off the rails and Tuchel is facing his most testing spell in the job.

Lukaku has endured a difficult time since signing in a club record deal at the start of the season.

He suffered an ankle injury that kept him out for nearly two months and then contracted Covid just before Christmas.

But he has scored two goals in his last two games to suggest he is returning to form and fitness.


Privacy