Police investigating online racial abuse of Anthony Elanga
The 19-year-old missed the decisive spot-kick as Manchester United lost a shoot-out to Middlesbrough on Friday.
Police are investigating after Manchester United’s Anthony Elanga was subjected to online racial abuse following last week’s FA Cup loss to Middlesbrough.
Elanga missed the decisive spot-kick as United were beaten on penalties by the Championship side in the fourth-round tie at Old Trafford on Friday.
Greater Manchester Police have now confirmed an investigation is under way after the 19-year-old Sweden Under-21 international received abuse via his Instagram account.
A statement read: “We can confirm that GMP are investigating an incident of racist abuse linked to a social media post which is believed to have been posted on Friday evening (4 February 2022), following the football match between Manchester United and Middlesborough FC.
“Enquiries are ongoing.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting crime reference number: CRI/06MM/0002216/22.”
Instagram is reportedly conducting its own investigation and has removed a number of comments. The PA news agency has contacted the platform for comment.
United were beaten 8-7 in the penalty shoot-out after the match finished 1-1 after extra time.
- Jurgen Klopp responds to the Real Madrid 'revenge' question ahead of Paris showdown
- Niall Quinn Opinion Roy Keane wasn’t the ideal Ireland captain for the World Cup finals
- John Aldridge makes a bold Harry Kane call after Mohamed Salah's latest contract vow
- Stephen Kenny impressed by Michael Obafemi improvement as striker earns recall
- Chelsea sale funds to be frozen and releasing them will require further licence
- Derry Girls star Jamie-Lee O'Donnell always checked for 'bomb scare clauses' in contracts
- Grieving mum wants answers after daughter (21) dies from suspected overdose in OAP's house
- Author of 'How To Murder Your Husband' found guilty of killing her spouse
- Ex Tyrone ace Mickey Coleman's heart flatlined three times and he saw the light...but survived
- Notorious drug baron Peter 'Skeets' Neill 'scundered' after being barred from gym