Nike ends sponsorship deal with Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood
The forward was released on bail last week following his arrest over the alleged rape and assault of a young woman.
Nike has terminated its endorsement agreement with Manchester United and England striker Mason Greenwood, the sportswear firm has announced.
Greenwood was released on bail last week after being questioned over the alleged rape and assault of a young woman.
The 20-year-old had been arrested after images and videos were posted online and, while in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
United have suspended Greenwood from playing or training with the club until further notice.
Nike last week issued a statement to say it was “deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation”.
It has now confirmed Greenwood will no longer be endorsed by the company.
A statement issued to the PA news agency read: “Mason Greenwood is no longer a Nike athlete.”
Greater Manchester Police did not name the footballer last week but said: “A 20-year-old man arrested on Sunday, January 30, 2022 on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.”
- It’s a great way to end my playing days – Paul McShane turns to coaching
- What time, what channel, squad news and all you need to know about Liverpool v Real Madrid
- Rio Ferdinand takes swipe at John Terry saying, 'It's really time to start addressing the fragile ego'
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp plays down pursuit of personal glory in bid for European spoils
- Manchester United hoping new Erik ten Hag era will quell protests against Glazers
- Amber Heard's 'wild' claims are a 'profound cruelty' to real survivors, court hears
- Kinahan cartel criminal admits role in feud murder of Noel 'Duck Egg' Kirwan
- Senator found not guilty of assaulting man during brawl outside Louth pub
- Man (33) pleads guilty to possession of handgun used to shoot Sinead Connolly
- Claire Byrne reveals she is leaving her RTE TV show after seven years on air