whiz kid Liverpool set to reveal their next move in their pursuit of Fulham's Fabio Carvalho
After frantic negotiations in the final hours of the transfer window, Liverpool and Fulham could not get the deal over the line in time.
Liverpool's move to sign Fulham wonder-kid Fabio Carvalho collapsed in the final hour of the transfer window, but it appears all parties are keen to re-open talks over a summer transfer.
After frantic negotiations in the final hours of the transfer window, Liverpool and Fulham finally found agreement on a complex deal just after 9pm.
That sparked a rush to get the deal over the line, with Liverpool's incoming Sporting Director Julian Ward believed to have played a key role in negotiations with Fulham and the Carvalho camp.
Yet Fulham were adamant that they needed the deal to included a loan back option that would see Carvalho play out the rest of the season in their colours, with Liverpool happy to agree to that condition.
In the end, that aspect of the deal proved to be the breaking point, as deadlines were missed to submit deal sheets for what was a complex transfer that was negotiated on the final day of the transfer window.
Now there are suggestions that all parties are keen to finalise a deal that will see Carvalho move to Liverpool this summer, when his Fulham contract is due to expire.
There were suggestions that Liverpool would not entertain a deal for Carvalho if a compensation fee was set this summer by a transfer tribunal, with the youngster's reputation leaving the Anfield club open to paying an inflated fee.
Yet sources close to the negotiations have told sundayworld.com that there is an expectation that agreement will be reached for Carvalho to seal the move to Liverpool.
Some of Europe's top clubs were eyeing up a move for Carvalho, who has been compared to former Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho and England starlet Jude Bellingham.
Liverpool manager Klopp and his scouting team were convinced they were trying to sign a player who could may flourish as Bellingham has done since his move to Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2020.
Despite the disappointment of the aborted Carvalho deal, this transfer window has still been a success for Liverpool, with the capture of Luis Diaz ensuring Klopp snared his chief transfer target for 2022 after they secured deal that halted the Colombian's proposed move to Tottenham.
- Jurgen Klopp responds to the Real Madrid 'revenge' question ahead of Paris showdown
- Niall Quinn Opinion Roy Keane wasn’t the ideal Ireland captain for the World Cup finals
- John Aldridge makes a bold Harry Kane call after Mohamed Salah's latest contract vow
- Stephen Kenny impressed by Michael Obafemi improvement as striker earns recall
- Chelsea sale funds to be frozen and releasing them will require further licence
- Deirdre Reynolds Opinion Deirdre Reynolds: Victoria Beckham's 'curve' ball is a fat lot of good
- Kim Kardashian ‘heartbroken, disgusted and furious’ following Texas shooting
- Westmeath woman awarded €16,400 after falling from defective chair in Supermacs
- Salvador Ramos: Texas gunman warned of school shooting on social media
- Dungannon road crash victim named as Co Antrim man Paul McLarnon (61)