| 18.9°C Dublin

target list Liverpool eyeing up a move for Premier League star as TWO midfielders are set to leave

Close

Liverpool's finances have been hit hard by Covid-19. REUTERS/Clive Brunskill

Liverpool's finances have been hit hard by Covid-19. REUTERS/Clive Brunskill

Liverpool's finances have been hit hard by Covid-19. REUTERS/Clive Brunskill

Liverpool are preparing to allow a host of star names to leave Anfield this summer, with a key target now in their sights as they eye up midfield replacements.

With Georginio Wijnaldum is close to agreeing a deal to sign for Barcelona, sundayworld.com have been told that Naby Keita may also be made available for transfer as manager Jurgen Klopp looks to boost his transfer fund.

While big-money moves for star names like Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappe have already been ruled out by Liverpool chiefs, they are looking to strengthen their midfield options and Brighton's Yves Bissouma is now a top transfer target.

Sources close to Brighton have told us that the player and his advisers are aware of Liverpool's interest in signing the 24-year-old Mali international, with a £35million deal believed to be under discussion.

Bissouma was asked about his links with Liverpool earlier this week, but he has insisted he is focused on finishing the season with before considering his future.

Close

Brighton manager Graham Potter, left, is excited by the potential of midfielder Yves Bissouma (Phil Noble/PA)

Brighton manager Graham Potter, left, is excited by the potential of midfielder Yves Bissouma (Phil Noble/PA)

Brighton manager Graham Potter, left, is excited by the potential of midfielder Yves Bissouma (Phil Noble/PA)

“I don’t have much to say about that because I’m at Brighton for the moment,” he told The Argus.

“I consider myself a Brighton player, so the most important thing right now, as I said, is to stay up.

“We’ll try and stay up, and God willing, we’ll see how things go next season.”

Liverpool are expected to focus on signing players with youthful potential rather than proven performers, with the signing of RB Leipzig defender Ibrahima Konaté set to fit into that criteria.

Konaté's move to Liverpool is close to being agreed, with the £34million release clause set to be paid by the Anfield club as they look to bolster their defensive line.

Confirmation that players will need to leave before Klopp is allowed to carry out an overhaul of the squad will disappoint some Liverpool fans, but the owners are set to stick to their prudent financial strategy and ensure any incomings have sell-on value in the future.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Meanwhile, boss Klopp has insisted Liverpool's transfer plans for this summer will not be affected if they fail to qualify for ext season's Champions League.

"I don't think so, really," he said. "Playing Champions League obviously is massive, especially from a financial point of view for the club so it's really important.

"If we cannot make that, then that's not good. Definitely not. I don't think it will change anything because the situation was difficult before and it is difficult after.

"Football is in a difficult situation. I don't think it will change a lot."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy