Jesse Lingard looks set to stay at Manchester United despite Newcastle interest
Speculation has been rife about the 29-year-old leaving on loan ahead of his contract expiring this summer.
Jesse Lingard looks set to stay at Manchester United despite Newcastle’s push to sign the attacking midfielder, the PA news agency understands.
Deadline day was always likely to be quiet in terms of incomings at Old Trafford, but speculation has been rife about the 29-year-old leaving on loan ahead of his contract expiring this summer.
Newcastle have been in discussions over a loan move this month but baulked at the fee requested by United should England international Lingard help them stave off relegation from the Premier League.
West Ham – where he enjoyed a successful loan last year – and Tottenham are among the other clubs to have expressed interest in a player interim boss Ralf Rangnick reportedly gave his blessing to leave.
But Lingard is set to stay for the rest of the campaign, where he could yet play an important role despite being restricted to a bit-part impact so far this season.
Donny Van De Beek was allowed to make a deadline-day loan move to Everton, who are understood to be covering the Holland international’s wages on top of paying United a loan fee.
Anthony Martial this month joined Sevilla until the end of the campaign and Amad Diallo headed to Rangers, while Axel Tuanzebe agreed a temporary switch to Napoli having previously been on loan at Aston Villa.
England goalkeeper Dean Henderson had hoped to follow suit in search of first-team football, while there was a chance Phil Jones headed to Bordeaux on loan in a bid to kickstart his career after injury.
The PA news agency understands there was deadline-day interest from the Championship in a loan for Alvaro Fernandez but the 18-year-old looks likely to stay put.
- Roman Abramovich: Being part of Chelsea has been the honour of a lifetime
- Chelsea confirm agreement to sell the club to US magnate Todd Boehly in £4.25billion deal
- ‘I had a contract from Manchester United then Jurgen Klopp rang’ – Sadio Mane
- Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher offer alternative views on Liverpool v Real Madrid
- Positive injury update from Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp ahead of Champions League final
- Face of man (23) on drugs and crime proceeds charges after Finglas arrest this week
- Gardai seize car in Dublin after discovering tax was six years out of date
- Bonnie Ryan shares moving video of brother Elliott leading her into church on wedding day
- Vogue Williams reveals how she and Brian McFadden divided up all their possessions
- Derek 'Del Boy' Hutch did u-turn after spotting cops before he crashed into Ukranian refugee