| -0.9°C Dublin

Vile threat James McClean shares chilling message threatening to burn his house down

McClean revealed he was sent a post stating: 'Don't make me set your house on fire and burn everyone inside it'

Close

James McClean has once again highlighted the abuse he and his family have received online. Photo by Harry Murphy/Sportsfile

James McClean has once again highlighted the abuse he and his family have received online. Photo by Harry Murphy/Sportsfile

James McClean has once again highlighted the abuse he and his family have received online. Photo by Harry Murphy/Sportsfile

Republic of Ireland winger James McClean has joined the calls for a halt to social media abuse, after revealing yet another chilling threat sent to him on Instagram.

McClean has been the target of social media trolls for several years and has constantly suggested the sectarian abuse that comes his way is not treated as seriously as racist taunts.

Now the Stoke star has revealed the details of another threat that came his way, as he posted a photo of the direct message that read: "Don't make me set your house on fire and burn everyone inside it".

He then followed up that post with a lengthy Instagram post as he again suggested the attacks he receives on social media platforms should be dealt with in the same way as any kind of abuse.

"Banging my head against a brick wall here but look I have been doing that anyways for a long time so one more won't make a difference," he wrote.

"Soo much coverage this past couple weeks about discrimination and the condemnation of it across media outlets, players, ex players etc which is great to see because it's wrong and idiots should be held responsible for their actions and words as no body should be subjected to that.

"Make no mistake about it or to take anything away from that but just to pose the question really, racism, gender, ethnic.. the list of discrimination that goes on is unacceptable right. My question is here... does being abused for being Irish and anti-Irish abuse acceptable?

"I have highlighted the abuse publicly on social media recently and the silence from everyone is deafening! If you are offended by me saying that then maybe that tells you something."

McClean's latest intervention came after it was revealed Manchester United striker Anthony Martial was subjected to racist abuse following Sunday’s 1-1 draw at West Brom.

The Frenchman, who along with Axel Tuanzebe was targeted last month following the Red Devils’ loss to Sheffield United, was again on the receiving end after playing the first 66 minutes of the disappointing stalemate at The Hawthorns.

A number of Instagram users left racist words and symbols in the comments section of Martial’s most recent 16-week-old post.

Close

Anthony Martial received abuse on social media after Sunday’s draw at West Brom (Naomi Baker/PA)

Anthony Martial received abuse on social media after Sunday’s draw at West Brom (Naomi Baker/PA)

Anthony Martial received abuse on social media after Sunday’s draw at West Brom (Naomi Baker/PA)

Instagram have announced new measures to tackle online abuse in the wake of the latest spate of sickening racist attacks on footballers.

The social media network told the PA news agency on Sunday evening that it is looking into the matter and has already removed a number of racist comments.

Manchester United have also been contacted and said their position remained unchanged from the statement issued at the end of January, when they said they were “disgusted” at the abuse by “anonymous mindless idiots” and urged social media platforms and regulatory authorities to strengthen measures to prevent this kind of behaviour.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy