roy rant 'Does he do card tricks?' - Roy Keane hits out at Jordan Henderson's Euro 2020 inclusion
Roy Keane believes England manager Gareth Southgate made a mistake when he named Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson in his Euro 2020 squad.
Former Ireland captain Keane has suggested Henderson does not justify a position in England's squad for this summer's finals, as he has not played a competitive game since mid-February due to injury.
Henderson was a second half substitute as England laboured to a 1-0 victory over Romania in their final Euro 2020 warm-up game, with the Liverpool talisman missing a penalty as he attempted to score his first goal at international level.
Yet Keane has suggested he should not be a part of England's plans this summer, as he is unlikely to be fully fit to start their first game against Croatia next Sunday.
"Clearly Jordan's not fit. I don't think he should be involved," Keane told ITV Sport.
"If he can't start the game against Romania - because physically and mentally today's game won't be that tough for him - having not kicked a ball for three-and-a-half months he can't be right.
"I've heard people say they want him around the place - for what? Does he do card tricks? Does he have a sing song? Does he do quizzes in the evenings?
"What does he do? Jordan's an experienced player. Surely Jordan doesn't want to be around the place as some sort of cheerleader - you want to play and he's clearly nowhere near it."
Liverpool legend John Aldridge had an alternative view, as he told sundayworld.com that Henderson has a bigger role to play within the squad environment.
"England have to take Henderson to the Euros and I can totally understand why Gareth Southgate has included him in the squad despite his injury," said Aldridge.
"You get so much more from Jordan Henderson than just a midfielder. He has developed into a leader and that has been evident time and again over the last few years.
"Southgate will know that he can be a positive influence around the young lads in the squad and a good voice in the dressing room if they are struggling.
"Jordan is not just the captain of Liverpool at this stage, as he has been a leader among all the club captains in the Premier League and has become a real spokesman in the game.
"Henderson is also a fantastic midfielder and if England get to the latter stages of the competition and he can get himself fit, Southgate will know how important he could be."
- Football rumours: Paul Pogba to be offered new deal by Manchester United
- Romelu Lukaku displaying serious mental steel as he leads Belgium's Euro 2020 charge
- Can England win Euro 2020? On the evidence of what we've seen so far... no chance
- John Aldridge Opinion My advice to my Everton pals - don't touch Rafa Benitez with a barge pole
- England's lethal weapon Harry Kane has been decommissioned and transformed into a soup spoon
- Criminals who tried to murder James â€˜Magoâ€™ Gately believed he was involved in Regency Hotel attack
- George Nkencho inquest adjourned as gardaÃ who â€˜used forceâ€™Â yet to be interviewed
- â‚¬37,500 award after toddlerâ€™s mystery arm break at creche
- Love Island 2021: new batch of contestants announced ahead of series return
- Man hospitalised with 'serious head injuries' following assault in Dublin 1