Conflicting reports over new bids for Manchester United as deadline passes
Sky Sports claim leading bidders have failed to submit a new bid to land the keys to Old Trafford.
There are conflicting reports over whether Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar have made second, improved bids for Manchester United.
Some reports are suggesting the new offers were lodged ahead of the 9pm deadline on Wednesday night, but Sky Sports are reporting the two leading bidders have asked for more time to submit their offers.
Ineos founder Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim (below), the chairman of Qatar Islamic Bank and the son of a former Qatari prime minister, are the only bidders who have gone public with their intentions to complete a full takeover.
An immediate response is not expected as the next steps are up to the seller, but the Sheikh Jassim group believes they are the best bid for the club, fans and local community.
It is understood a deadline of 9pm on Wednesday had been set for parties to submit second bids for the club and that there are eight different potential investors.
A first round of bidding took place last month, with perspective investors understood to have been given a deadline of 9pm on Wednesday to submit second offers.
It was already understood that Sheikh Jassim would be making a second bid.
No figures have been revealed but one or more of the initial bids were reportedly in the region of £4.5billion.
That would make them world record offers for a sports club but still some way short of the £6bn valuation reportedly placed on the club by current owners the Glazer family.
The Glazers acquired the club for £750million in a highly-leveraged deal in 2005. After a controversial reign, they announced they were seeking “strategic alternatives” that could include a sale last year.
Ratcliffe, who made an unsuccessful bid in the region of £4.25billion to buy Chelsea in 2022, visited Old Trafford last week.
The 70-year-old businessman was born in the Manchester area and is a boyhood United fan. He is one of the richest people in Britain with an estimated personal fortune of £6bn.
Sheikh Jassim has said his interest is a private initiative through his Nine Two Foundation and is not connected to the Qatari state.
His representatives also visited Old Trafford last week for talks, which were understood to be positive and constructive.
Little or nothing is known of other potential bidders but it reported that US hedge fund Elliott Management have made a proposal that would involve offering finance to either new bidders or the Glazers.
EXCLUSIVE | Kinahan cartel links help East Belfast UVF ‘spread wings’ into international drug trade
'violent disorder' | Brothers Glen Ward and Eric O’Driscoll sent for trial over alleged Finglas brawl
Recovery | Doireann Garrihy’s boyfriend Mark Mehigan opens up about his struggles with alcoholism
LATEST | Kinahan cartel gang boss Liam Byrne says he will fight extradition back to UK for trial
FREAK INJURY | ‘I see the funny side now’ – man breaks back after mum’s gravestone falls on top of him
ring girl | Former Miss Ireland announces she got engaged in stunning Santorini
SHocking | Boy violently attacked by gang of youths in park - police investigating footage
'lethal' | ‘It was crazy’ – Dublin homeless café manager describes shocking effects of ‘liquid ecstasy’
'most gifted' | Teen footballer killed in jet ski accident was ‘true hero on the pitch’, funeral told
'vacuous vanity' | Love Island is a ‘better looking Daíl’ with betrayal and backstabbing