surprise move? Clubs linked with a move for Jordan Henderson as doubts emerge over his Liverpool future
Doubts have emerged over the future of Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, after contract talks between the club and his advisers left question marks over whether a fresh agreement can be found.
Henderson's current Liverpool contract runs out in the summer of 2023, but the club are keen to ensure their highest profile assets do not reach a point where they are entering the final year of their contract.
A well sourced report from The Athletic suggests Henderson may not be offered the contract he is looking to secure by Liverpool, with the club's reluctant to give extended deals players over the 30 an issue that is set to dominate the agenda at Liverpool in the next couple of years.
After Gini Wijnaldum ran down his Liverpool deal and sealed a lucrative move to Paris Saint-Germain this summer, Anfield insiders are keen to avoid a repeat.
Yet the club's policy of offering shorter-term contracts to players who have already toasted their 30th birthday suggests big changes may be on the way at Liverpool, with keeper Alisson Becker, defender Virgil van Dijk and forwards Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino all approaching or already passing that age mark.
At 31, Henderson is another player who needs to negotiate a new deal and it remains to be seen whether the club will reward the captain that lifted the Champions League and Premier League trophies for Liverpool with the contract he will feel his status at the club merits.
Paris Saint-Germain coach Mauricio Pochettino is already being linked with a move for Henderson, while Barcelona have also been mentioned as a possible club for the England midfielder.
Henderson has made it clear that he would like to stay at Liverpool, yet Wijnaldum made similar comments before he left on a free contract and secured a wages package and signing on fee at PSG that was far superior to the deal he had been offered by Liverpool.
While Henderson's status as one of Liverpool's greatest captains may ensure he has a special place in the club's folklore, it may not be enough for the club's owners to bend a policy that ensures they have the possibility to a sell-on fee for players when their time to leave the club comes.
- Harry Wilson set to leave Liverpool for Fulham
- Jadon Sancho eyeing trophies after completing Manchester United move
- Creativity and a cool head â€“ What does new boy Jadon Sancho bring to Man Utd?
- Jadon Sancho signs five-year deal at Manchester United after completing move
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer excited to see Jadon Sancho â€˜blossomâ€™ at Manchester United
- US lawyers file papers saying mob boss Daniel Kinahan has been formally served in 'racketeering' lawsuit
- Death toll rises to 125 in India as heaviest monsoons in decades trigger landslides and floods
- Tragic captain Ogie Duffy's club mates make 'emotional' return to pitch
- Tributes paid to 'popular' Cavan teen Killian Casey, one of six people to die in water this week
- JK Rowling reveals why she did not use her real name on Harry Potter books