| 19.5°C Dublin

coming home? Are Irish football fans backing England to win Euro 2020? This survey tells all

Close

England have reached successive major tournament semi-finals (Nick Potts/PA)

England have reached successive major tournament semi-finals (Nick Potts/PA)

England have reached successive major tournament semi-finals (Nick Potts/PA)

Irish football fans support the England players when they are playing for their club sides in the Premier League, but can they back them when they are wearing the white jersey at international level?

Of course, there is a little bit of history getting in the way of Ireland fans finding a way to support England as they play in Sunday's Euro 2020 final, even if Irish grassroots football is winning by their success.

Bookie Paddy Power is giving €10k to needy clubs across Ireland every time England score in this summer's competition, with €80k already in their #SaveOurGame pot after England's run to the last four of the competition.

Yet not even that cash boost for the needy clubs in this country is enough to persuade us to cheer on Harry Kane, Jack Grealish and the rest amid their 'Football's Coming Home' euphoria.

In a survey of over 1000 people conducted via pollsters Bounce Insights commissioned by Paddy Power, they got a definitive answer on how Irish people feel about football ‘coming home’ with 26% admitting they want to see it happen, while the remaining 74% hope England will falter before or at the final.

The main points of the Paddy Power #SaveOurGame poll reveals:

* The majority of Tipp natives want to see the Three Lions lift the trophy

* Cavan the least supportive of England, followed by Sligo and Donegal

* Of any sport, soccer fans have the most favourable view of Southgate’s squad

* But 67% of Irish Premier League fans DO NOT want to see England succeed

The #SaveOurGame poll revealed that a majority of people in Tipperary (52%) want to see England win the tournament, with Roscommon (45%), Fermanagh (45%), Antrim (44%), Laois (42%) and Louth (40%) the only other counties in Ireland where over 40% will shout for Gareth Southgate's men.

On the flip side, Cavan is the most adverse to England going all the way, with just 9% of those polled admitting they will cheer on the Three Lions.

The people of Sligo (14%), Donegal (15%), Wexford (16%) and Kerry (16%) are also hesitant to raise the St. George’s cross for the remainder of the tournament.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

However, one fifth of Dubliners (20%) hope to see Raheem Sterling and the boys do the business, while in Cork - a county steeped in Fenian roots - more than a third (34%) are getting behind them.

According to this poll, Italy are the squad Irish fans want to see take the title and they booked their place in the final against England after a semi-final win against Spain on Tuesday.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy