spur decisions Antonio Conte: ‘Maybe I make mistakes’ picking other players ahead of Joe Rodon
The Wales defender has not featured much in recent weeks, even with Eric Dier out injured.
Antonio Conte admits he might have made a mistake by not trusting Joe Rodon in Tottenham’s leaky defence, but is backing his evaluation of the player.
The Wales centre-half has been notable by his absence in recent weeks, with Conte appearing to favour a number of others ahead of him in his back line.
The Spurs head coach said before Christmas that he saw Rodon as a back-up to Eric Dier in the middle of a three-man defence, but Rodon has not got anywhere near the line-up even with Dier missing seven of the last eight games through injury.
In this moment maybe I make mistakes to pick different players maybe. Maybe. My evaluation is to try to put on the pitch the best players at the moment.Antonio Conte
That points to Conte just not fancying Rodon, with the Italian saying he picks the players he thinks are best suited to the team.
“We are talking about a really good guy,” Conte said after Sunday’s 2-0 home defeat to Wolves. “We are talking about a person whose commitment is very high every day.
“But in this moment maybe I make mistakes to pick different players maybe. Maybe. My evaluation is to try to put on the pitch the best players at the moment.
“If I didn’t do this then maybe I did different considerations.”
Wolves won the game thanks to goals in the first 20 minutes from Raul Jimenez and Leander Dendoncker as Spurs gift-wrapped both opportunities with poor defending.
The three points moved them above Spurs in the table, within touching distance of the top four, and Jimenez – who scored his first goal of 2022 – is beginning to dream big.
“It was always the plan to come here and play our game with the ball and make them run,” the Mexico striker said. “We knew we would have opportunities. We needed to capitalise and score the goals.
“We’ve had troubles this season scoring, but (on Sunday) we did what we wanted. We are always confident.
“We know what we can do. We are in a good time and we can keep improving and go higher in the table. We are dreaming big.”
- Jurgen Klopp responds to the Real Madrid 'revenge' question ahead of Paris showdown
- Niall Quinn Opinion Roy Keane wasn’t the ideal Ireland captain for the World Cup finals
- John Aldridge makes a bold Harry Kane call after Mohamed Salah's latest contract vow
- Stephen Kenny impressed by Michael Obafemi improvement as striker earns recall
- Chelsea sale funds to be frozen and releasing them will require further licence
- Author of 'How To Murder Your Husband' found guilty of killing her spouse
- Ex Tyrone ace Mickey Coleman's heart flatlined three times and he saw the light...but survived
- Notorious drug baron Peter 'Skeets' Neill 'scundered' after being barred from gym
- Student ordered to pay University College Dublin (UCD) €18,200 in rent arrears
- Texas school shooting: Onlookers urged police to charge into primary school