Tom Daly ends speculation over his future by committing to Connacht

Tom Daly has committed to Connacht

Tom Daly has committed to Connacht

Cian Tracey

Connacht centre Tom Daly has ended speculation over his future by signing a new two-year contract extension with the western province.

A recent report had linked Daly with a move to Munster at the end of the season, but that has not proven to be the case, as the Carlow man has extended his stay with Connacht.

The 28-year-old reignited his career at the Sportsground when he left Leinster for Connacht in 2018, initially on loan, before the move was made permanent.

On the back of a string of fine performances, Daly has since earned his first call-up to the Ireland squad and although he hasn't yet been capped, the former Ireland sevens captain has been told by the national coaches that he is not far away from making the breakthrough.

"Playing for Connacht has been the highlight of my career so far,” Daly said.

“There’s a really strong group of players and management who are all working together to succeed both in the URC and Champions Cup. I’m thankful to Andy (Friend) and the coaches who have shown trust in me and I can’t wait to play my part in achieving our aims in the years ahead."

Connacht head coach Andy Friend added: "Tom is the perfect example of a player who has grabbed his playing opportunities with both hands. I’ve been impressed by him ever since he joined on his loan deal in 2018, and then we all saw last season just how good of a player he’s become.

“We’re all looking forward to seeing him continue his progression and help the squad to succeed over the next two years."


Today's Headlines

More Rugby

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices