| 19.1°C Dublin

'Nasty dude' Conor McGregor targets Dustin Poirier in series of bizarre now deleted tweets

In a follow up to his post-fight remarks the Dubliner took to Twitter to take shots at Poirier and his wife Jolie

Close

Conor McGregor reacts following an injury suffered against Dustin Poirier during UFC 264 at T-Mobile Arena. Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Conor McGregor reacts following an injury suffered against Dustin Poirier during UFC 264 at T-Mobile Arena. Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

/

Conor McGregor reacts following an injury suffered against Dustin Poirier during UFC 264 at T-Mobile Arena. Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Conor McGregor has targeted rival Dustin Poirier in a series of now deleted tweets in the aftermath of his shocking defeat at the hands of the American.

McGregor, who described Poirier’s victory as “illegitimate” after he broke his lower leg in UFC 264‘s main event trilogy bout, sent a series of bizarre tweets on Monday - including warning Poirier that he was a “nasty dude”.

He also referred to Dustin’s wife “trying to message me privately on Instagram” which he had previously highlighted in the build-up to last weekend’s encounter.

In a follow up to his post-fight remarks to Joe Rogan in the cage, when he verbally attacked Poirier while being tended to by medical personnel, the Dubliner took to Twitter to take shots at Poirier and his wife Jolie.

Close

One tweet consisted of three pictures with no caption. It included a screenshot of Mateusz Gamrot’s Instagram photo of Poirier holding his ankle, a picture of Poirier and his daughter Parker smiling, and a closely cropped version of Poirier from the previous photo.

“I’m a dangerous man,” one tweet declares. “Gonezo”,adds another.

Close

He also threatens: “I’m a nasty dude I promise you, and declares: “Your wife is your husband.”

In one other tweets he states: “Hey you guys! I don’t want to associate any negativity with my foundation so I’d like to take this chance to apologize for Dustin’s wife trying to message me privately on Instagram.”

Close

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

McGregor was rushed to hospital following his injury in round one of the UFC 264 fight.

The MMA star later said he was “feeling tremendous” after undergoing surgery in Los Angeles.

Yesterday morning, he took to social media to share an update with his fans, saying he is expecting to spend the next six weeks on crutches.

"What's up fight fans, The Notorious here.

"Just out of the surgery room, everything went to plan and everything went perfect. I'm feeling tremendous, we got six weeks on a crutch now and then we begin to build back," he said in a video.

"I want to thank all the fans around the world for your messages of support, I hope you all enjoyed the show. I want to thank all the fans in attendance at T Mobile Arena - 21,800 fans in attendance, the place was absolutely electric.

"It was a hell of a first-round, it would have been nice to get into that second round and then to see what's what, but it is what it is. That's the nature of the business, a clean break of the tibia. It was not to be.

"Dustin, you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want but you've done nothing in there. That second round would have shown all. Onwards and upwards we go, team. We dust ourselves off, we build ourselves back and we come back better than ever. Let's go, team."

When it was put to Poirier that there was a lot of tension between the pair in the lead up to the fight despite the last clash being a friendly affair, and the victor did not mince his words.

"There is no holds barred with the trash talk, right. But murder is something you don't clown around with and there is no coming back from that.

"This guy was telling me he was going to murder me and all kinds of stuff and saying he was going to kill me and I was going to leave here in a coffin. You don't talk to people like that. I hope this man gets home safely to his beautiful family."

UFC president Dana White condemned McGregor’s comments both before and after the fight, before dropping a strong hint that the pair could meet for a fourth time when McGregor has recovered.

“I don’t like that, that’s not good,” said White. “Leave people’s families and wives and all that stuff out of it. Family has nothing to do with it.

“It sucks for it to end that way, it’s brutal, it’s not the way you want to see fights end. It’s a break of the lower tibia in his left shin and he will go into surgery tomorrow (Sunday).

“The fight didn’t get finished. We’ll see how this whole thing plays out. Who knows how long Conor is out? Poirier will do his thing until Conor is ready.

“Dustin Poirier will fight for the title (against lightweight champion Charles Oliveira) and when Conor is healed and ready to go, you do the rematch, I guess.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy