'Notorious' brawl Conor McGregor set to take on Manny Pacquiao for Covid relief fundraiser
Notorious Conor McGregor is set to take on Manny Pacquiao it has been confirmed - after the boxing legend said the massive bout is on.
Pacquiao - who is now a senator in the Philippines - issued a statement from his office on Friday night, adding that his funds from the fight would be used for the Covid-19 relief effort in his native country.
A statement from Pacquiao's office read: "For the sake of all the Filipino Covid-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will be fighting UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year.
"The huge portion of his earnings will proceed to those who are affected nationwide by the pandemic."
It comes after McGregor (32) claimed he would take part in another big money boxing fight after his 2017 fight against Floyd Mayweather.
In a series of tweets McGregor addressed his UFC situation and claimed a bout against Pacquiao was on the cards.
He wrote: "Here's the finish of that exchange. Pre covid. Pre retirement. Never turned down offer of Tony as was suggested at the time. I stated months in advance (early February) that I was not interested in being an alternate for two consistent pullouts. Pushed for my own scheduled bouts."
McGregor explained how he had lost The Dubliner added: "I was pushing hard for the season. Multiple opponents, multiple dates offered throughout. All to take place back to back.
"Then when Covid hit and the talk was that I would have to wait for crowds again, I walked away from the situation. I was waiting long enough at that stage."
He then spoke about a fight against the 41-year-old Filipino. "Anyway all water under the bridge who gives a f**k. I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East."
Last month Pacquiao, tweeted the word "accepted" in Tagalog, the official language of the Philippines, as he sparked rumours that he was set to fight McGregor.
The pair have been linked with a clash in recent years as McGregor reiterated his desire to give professional boxing another shot.
- Conor McGregor accused of allegedly breaking Italian DJ's nose
- Broadcaster Jacqui Oatley says women who voice their opinion on football often get vile abuse
- Paralympian Jason Smyth reveals his gold medals have found an unlikely home
- 'He is here, but different' - Michael Schumacher's wife offers update on F1 legend's condition
- Katie George Dunlevy & Eve McCrystal take sensational gold for Ireland in women's B time trial
- Vanessa Bryant learnt about husbandâ€™s death after getting â€˜RIP Kobeâ€™ notifications on phone
- Brian Laundrie autopsy inconclusive as family confirm he will be cremated
- New rules for air passengers travelling to US from next month announced
- Adoring Tallaght mum insists daughterâ€™s genetic disorder is not going to hold her back
- â€‹â€‹Donald Trump Jr sells T-shirts mocking tragic Alec Baldwin set shooting