Ciara Mageean takes on the best
Ciara Mageean will be aiming to set a third Irish record in a month when she runs in top-class 1500m in today's Stockholm Diamond League meeting.
The Portaferry athlete, who has already set new 800m - when she be came the first Irish female to break two minutes - and 1,000m Irish records, is now chasing Sonia O'Sullivan's metric mile record.
Her rivals today will include Olympic champion Faith Kipyegon.
She won the 1,000m in Monaco 10 days ago where Mageean smashed Sonia O'Sullivan's 23-year-old Irish record with a time of 2:31.06 which moved her to ninth on the world's all-time list for the event.
The Cobh Olympic silver medallist set her 1500m mark of 3:58:85 in 1995, with Mageean's personal best of 4:00:15 achieved at last year's World Championship final in Doha where she finished 10th.
Rio Olympic champion Kipyegon has a personal best of 3:54.22. Five others in the field have also broken four minutes, which suggests today's race will be lightning fast.
Britain's Laura Muir, who had to battle hard to hold off Mageean for second spot in the Monaco 1000m, is the second fastest in the field with her British record 3:55.22, while Kipyegon's compatriot and double world 5,000 champion, Hellen Obiri (3:57.05), is also running.
Mageean will also have to battle with Kenya's Winny Chebet (3:58.20) and US veteran Shannon Rowbury, who set her personal best of 3:56.29 in 2016, plus Uganda's Winnie Nanyondo, whose PB in 3:59.56.
Meanwhile, Stephen Scullion who has qualified for the Tokyo Olympic marathon and Raheny Shamrock's Mick Clohisey who ran in the Olympic marathon in Rio four years ago, have both been included in the 45-strong men's elite field for the rescheduled London marathon which now takes place on Sunday, October 4 in St James's Park.
- Conor McGregor accused of allegedly breaking Italian DJ's nose
- Broadcaster Jacqui Oatley says women who voice their opinion on football often get vile abuse
- Paralympian Jason Smyth reveals his gold medals have found an unlikely home
- 'He is here, but different' - Michael Schumacher's wife offers update on F1 legend's condition
- Katie George Dunlevy & Eve McCrystal take sensational gold for Ireland in women's B time trial
- Limerick councillor claims drug dealing in estate where crime gangs operate is worse than ever
- Human trafficker who smuggled people into Ireland put on 'most wanted' listÂ
- Queen spent night in hospital after cancelling Northern Ireland trip, says Buckingham Palace
- Tributes pour in for cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, killed on Alec Baldwinâ€™s â€˜Rustâ€™ set
- Spanish police release images of Kinahan cartel fugitive Gary Vickery being arrested in Lanzarote