MTK boxers express sadness after company announced operations are to cease
The boxing promoter announced it was set to close following Daniel Kinahan related sanctions
A number of MTK boxers have come out to express their sadness after the boxing company announced they are set to cease operations.
The boxing promotions company was founded by Daniel Kinahan in 2012.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the company said it had taken the difficult decision due to “unprecedented levels of unfair scrutiny and criticism”.
Taking to Twitter, Ohara Davies said that MTK “will be missed.
“Best management in the business @MTKGlobal will be missed, a great platform for small hall and also a top level fighters who will now have to find a new management team…”
“Very sad day for Boxing,” he continued.
“Shame on those who have caused this by spreading unfactual rumours.”
“Probellum is the future,” he said in another tweet.
Jay Harris also weighed in on the news.
“Gutted @MTKGlobal has had to end. They have done so much for everyone of their boxers, took myself [from] nothing to fighting for a world title in America in 18 months.
Lee Eaton added: “Best 6.5 years of my life!!! End of an era!!! Over & out.”
The news comes a week after Daniel Kinahan was hit with worldwide financial sanctions alongside his father Christopher Snr and brother Christopher Jnr by the US Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.
Authorities issued a $5million bounty for information leading to the arrest or conviction of the three most senior members of the cartel group for smuggling narcotics to Europe, laundering money, and committing murders as part of its criminal enterprise.
Last week, MTK Global said it “will comply fully with the sanctions made by the US government against Daniel Kinahan.”
The statement from MTK reads: “As a business we have faced unprecedented levels of unfair scrutiny and criticism since the sanctioning by the US government of Daniel Joseph Kinahan."
“It is a matter of public record that Mr Kinahan’s involvement in MTK ceased in 2017, and despite repeated reassurances in this regard, unfounded allegations about his ongoing association with us and our fighters persist.”
“Since leading promoters have now informed us that they will be severing all ties to MTK and will no longer work with our fighters, we've taken the difficult decision to cease operations at the end of this month.”
“MTK prospered because we always put the long term interests of our fighters at the heart of what we do.”
It adds: “Our priority in the weeks ahead will be to ensure that our world class boxers are supported to find new partnerships as swiftly as possible.”
'idiotic' | Taxi driver filmed wielding ‘gun’ in viral video east Belfast ‘UVF’ enforcer court hears
'little lies' | David Haye's girlfriend Sian Osborne takes cheeky dig at Una Healy in wake of ‘throuple’
calamity keeper | Roy Keane rips into Man United’s fall guy as Man City win FA Cup final
'huge impact' | Charlie Bird praised for charity work as crowds of well-wishers meet him at Bloom
pleaded guilty | Thug who blinded woman in one eye after ‘beating the life’ out of her faces jail
shouted abuse | Drunk man fined after making threats while trying to get inside Dublin apartment
Teen Meath magician Cillian O’Connor through to Britain’s Got Talent final
'distress' | Garda facing prosecution over N7 burglary gang pursuit ‘in limbo’ as summons yet to be issued
TRAGIC LOSS | Funeral hears Louth community ‘united in grief’ following tragic road death of farmer (80s)
house arrest | Teen boy arrested on suspicion of trespassing into Leinster House