warrior spirit Belfast boxer Stephen McMullan moved out of ICU after becoming unwell after fight
A fundraiser has been set up for Stephen's family so they can pay for vital rehabilitation equipment
Belfast boxer Stephen McMullan is continuing to recover after he became unwell the day after his Ulster Elite Final bout against Charlie Boyle in December and has been moved out of ICU.
Having been in ICU for five weeks, the 25-year-old is now being treated in the stroke ward at the Royal Victoria Hospital.
A fundraising page has been set up for the boxer by his cousin Mary, which has so far raised £5,000 in order for Stephen’s family to buy an Eyegaze computer, which Stephen will need to be able to communicate with others.
In an update, on the page Mary wrote: ‘Can't thank everyone enough for their kind donations. Stephen has settled on the stroke ward and is fighting very hard for the best recovery he has a long way to go.
‘Knowing he has so many people behind him is making him push himself harder everyday. Yesterday he made a fist and moved his arm.
"He is certainly proving them wrong already in such a short space of time. Today he managed to sit out in a chair for three whole hours which is absolutely amazing. #ourchamp has got this. Xxxx’
The boxer’s girlfriend, Aimee Fitzsimons, said: ‘I’m just taking this time to thank everyone for their generous donations towards the page for Stephen. It is so overwhelming! Stephen is a true fighter and will show everyone that in the months to come.
She also thanked other local boxers for recording videos of support for Stephen, saying: ‘Boxing is his passion and it would help him and show the support he has. I would like to thank Carl Frampton, Steven Ward, Jono Carroll for doing one!’
To donate to the fundraiser set up Stephen visit here.
- Former chief of Daniel Kinahan's MTK Global to be awarded top boxing honour
- Katie Taylor makes heart-warming phone call from U.S. to Amy Broadhurst and Lisa O’Rourke
- Irish boxer Amy Broadhurst says working with Katie Taylor drove her to victory at World Championships
- Amy Broadhurst and Lisa O’Rourke – Irish boxing’s golden girls of Istanbul
- Conor McGregor claims his 'left hand is a Glock' in bizarre Twitter rant
- Istanbul champions Amy Broadhurst and Lisa O’Rourke arrive home to hero's welcome
- Locals remain in fear as vigil for murdered mum Lisa Thompson is held in Ballymun
- Irish climber nearing top of Everest says his mum’s death made him follow his passion
- Derry Girls and Peaky Blinders star joins tens of thousands on Irish language rights protest
- Scottish drug trafficker used help of former cop to smuggle €8m worth drugs into Ireland