Martyn Ford's bout with Iranian Hulk cancelled over 'mental health concerns'
The boxer recently announced gang boss Daniel Kinahan was his new advisor
Martyn Ford has said that his bout with Iranian Hulk Sajad Gharibi has been cancelled because of mental health concerns.
A fan asked on Facebook: "Daniel Kinahan is amazing but why is the fight not going ahead?”
To which Ford responded: “Concerns on mental well being and also health and safety risk involved with this match up.”
Another said: "You need to say something about who pulled out of the fight 'the hulk' says you pulled out.”
Ford referred to a TV interview where Gharibi cried while discussing his family and responded: “They say a picture speaks a thousand words. Lets just say, what turned up WAS NOT what was sold to us or the investors. This followed by crying on TV saying he wants to end his life. Was enough for us.”
Standing at 6ft 8 inches tall, Ford has been dubbed the ‘World's Scariest Man' and is a well-known actor and has appeared in films such as Fast & Furious 9 and the Kingsman: the Golden Circle.
However, he now plans to move into the professional fighting game and generated huge publicity for his fight with the 'Iranian Hulk'.
Following the cancellation of what was meant to be his debut fight, Ford took to Instagram to announce that Daniel Kinahan would now be his advisor.
Daniel Kinahan, who is based in Dubai was named as the leader of the Kinahan Cartel in the High Court in Ireland.
We need your consent to load this Social Media content. We use a number of different Social Media outlets to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity.
On Tuesday, the US announced a $5million reward for information "leading to the financial disruption" of the Kinahan group, or the arrest and conviction of its leaders; Daniel Kinahan, his father Christopher Kinahan Snr and brother Christy Kinahan Jnr.
Just last week Ford praised Kinahan in the Instagram post as he revealed he had signed an advisory deal, “where he will help shape my path in boxing and guide me in the right direction”
“Huge announcement,” the English fighter declared.
“Anyone who knows me, knows how much work I’ve put into training ahead of my debut fight which is now not going ahead.
“My passion and hunger for the sport grew with every training session and I truly immersed myself in the sport, surrounding myself with top fighters and learning every day so when a chance opportunity came about to meet the most powerful man in the sport, Daniel Kinahan, it was a no-brainer for me.”
The heavily tattooed Ford said Kinahan “saw my hunger, my desire and my want to become better.
"We share a very similar energy, hunger and passion and are both extremely goal driven for reasons far beyond money or fame.
"A spiritual energy that pushes us on to become more.
“Anyone who knows boxing, knows just how integral this man is, and his passion for the sport, he works with every promoter in the game and literally every fighter I spoke with told me he was the man I needed to speak to if I wanted to take this seriously.”
He added: “We’ve talked in length and started working on a plan and I’m delighted to share that I have signed an advisory deal with him where he will help shape my path in boxing and guide me in the right direction and I’m truly excited about what’s to come.
"Together, we mean business.”
TAG TEAM | Sex worker and pimp boyfriend who threatened to expose her ‘clients’ are jailed
All Heart | Conor McGregor donates €10,000 to Heart Centre at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital
CRIME TO CALL IT | ‘I’m quitting life of crime’, says prolific offender with almost 300 convictions
Fan-tastic | Sex And The City stars pay tribute to the hit show on its 25th anniversary
'absolute joke' | Driving instructor who told woman ‘who’s your daddy’ 15 times among complaints to RSA
taking the rap | Man ‘not the criminal mastermind’ in €4k cocaine haul, court hears
Unison Festival | Free summer music festival in Balbriggan and Blanchardstown announced with amazing line-up
'HUMBLED' | Family grateful for ‘incredible’ help finding 93-year-old dad who went missing
LIV Row | ‘My own country thought it was acceptable to lock up unmarried mothers as late as 1996’ – Padraig Harrington
life-saving transplant | Cancer patient taking major steps towards recovery after stem cell transplant