| 8°C Dublin

MM-Arrest Video showing gardaí stopping Conor McGregor on N4 for 'undertaking' goes viral

During the 26 second clip, the McGregor fans can be heard shouting: "Up the Mac"

Close

Screenshot from the clip of Conor McGregor being pulled over on the M4

Screenshot from the clip of Conor McGregor being pulled over on the M4

Screenshot from the clip of Conor McGregor being pulled over on the M4

A video showing Conor McGregor being pulled over by gardai after allegedly 'undertaking' them in his €170,000 Bentley Continental GT on the motorway has gone viral on Twitter.

A fan had been recording a video of the UFC star cruising in his Bentley with the sun roof down when the gardai signalled for him to pull over and stop.

During the 26 second clip, the McGregor fans can be heard shouting: "Up the Mac" before their tone dramatically changes when the gardai turn on their sirens.

One man then shouts: "Are you f**kin' sh**in' me? They are pulling him."

The video was subsequently posted on Twitter and was retweeted by the UFC star who also 'liked' another post saying: 'Are we ready calling this a crime???'

UFC star Conor McGregor has posted a cryptic message on social media saying "tea always helps" hours after his arrest for alleged road traffic offences.

The Crumlin-born fighter posted an Instagram story of a cup of tea and muffins shortly after news broke that he had been stopped in his Bentley Continental GT by gardai.

On the Instagram story, McGregor wrote: "Tea always helps...muffins too" with a laughing emoji.

Close

Conor McGregor with his Bentley Continental GT convertible

Conor McGregor with his Bentley Continental GT convertible

Conor McGregor with his Bentley Continental GT convertible

The 33-year-old was detained in west Dublin on Tuesday evening while driving his Bentley Continental GT valued at around €170,000.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

McGregor, who has a number of road traffic convictions, is understood to have been travelling along the N4 between Lucan and Palmerstown when he came to garda attention.

He was pulled over by gardaí and subsequently arrested for road traffic offences.

It is understood his luxury car was also seized from him on the roadside following his arrest but has since been returned to him.

McGregor, the world's highest earning athlete in 2021, was then brought to Lucan Garda Station where he has since been station charged and released on bail.

It is understood he was charged with dangerous driving and will appear before Blanchardstown District Court next month.

On conviction, the charge of dangerous driving carries a maximum punishment of a fine up to €5,000 or six months imprisonment, or both.

In a statement later, a spokesperson for McGregor said: “Mr McGregor was driving to the gym when he was stopped by gardaí for alleged road traffic violations.

"He passed the drug and alcohol tests taken at the station.”

McGregor has been regularly pictured with his Bentley Continental GT in front of the Black Forge Inn, the Crumlin pub which he bought for €2m in 2019.

He has been spending more time in the capital recently and has been in training for a planned return to the UFC later this year.

A Garda spokesman confirmed that they detained a man yesterday in relation to the incident.

A spokesman said: "Gardaí arrested a man aged in his 30s in relation an incident of dangerous driving in the Palmerstown area yesterday evening, Tuesday 22nd March 2022.

"The man was taken to Lucan Garda Station where he was later charged. He has been released pending an appearance before Blanchardstown District Court at a later date."

In 2019 McGregor was fined €1,000 but avoided a custodial sentence after pleading guilty to the common assault of a man at the Marble Arch pub that April.

During that hearing the court was also told that McGregor has 18 previous convictions, mainly for road traffic offences, but one for assault causing harm as well as public order offences dating back a number of years.

In a separate matter this week, gardaí were ordered to disclose any CCTV footage, mobile phone data and toxicology or forensic results they gathered, to a woman who is taking a personal injury case against Conor McGregor.

McGregor and one of his associates are being sued by a Dublin woman arising out of an incident she alleges occurred in December 2018.

The alleged incident at the centre of the woman's claims had previously been the subject of an investigation by An Garda Síochána.

However, the Office of the DPP decided no criminal charges should be brought.

McGregor has completely denied any wrongdoing and all allegations are also denied.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy