Moving John The 2 Johnnies return to RTÉ 2fm after recent controversy
The pair came under fire in February when they reacted to a series of “offensive” and sexist car bumper stickers in promotional material for their show.
Comedy duo The 2 Johnnies returned to RTÉ 2fm this week after being taken off the airwaves last month.
The pair, whose real names are John O’Brien and John McMahon, came under fire in February when they reacted to a series of “offensive” and sexist car bumper stickers in promotional material for their new radio gig, just three days after the show started.
Taking to Twitter at the time, they issued an apology and said their offensive conversation should never had been published.
Earlier this month, RTÉ confirmed that The 2 Johnnies would be returning to the station on Monday, 14th March.
Many fans were delighted to hear the comedians back on air, while others tuned in as they were curious to see if the boys would address their recent controversy.
However, there was no mention of the absence from the show at all and the pair continued business as usual, opening the show triumphantly by saying: “What’s the craic, it’s good to be here, and it’s great to be back!”
The Cahir natives went on to swap anecdotes from their hometown, and spoke about topics from lambing season to the Kardashians, broken up with throwback tunes which they played throughout the show.
RTÉ previously stated that the comedy duo were taken off the air for merely breaching social media guidelines.
In a statement, the national broadcaster said it had “engaged intensively” with The 2 Johnnies in respect of the “breaches of our social media guidelines”, the standards expected with RTÉ content and the challenges of moving from an unregulated space into one where regulations apply.
RTÉ made no reference to the sexist material in its statement.
Dan Healy, Head of RTÉ 2fm said: "We reviewed the content and found that our social media guidelines were breached.
"We took this very seriously. So seriously that The 2 Johnnies were taken off air.
“They have apologised and we've been talking since about where we go from here. They are aware of the standards we expect and are absolutely committed to upholding them.
"We are looking forward to working with The 2 Johnnies as we work together to bring a fresh approach to drivetime.
"That's the job they were taken on to do and the show we want to offer the audience. We're going to continue working on this in advance of the show returning to air on Monday 14 March.”
- Vogue Williams' first 'proper' date with Spencer Matthews was magical Disneyland trip
- Bonnie Ryan marries John Greenhalgh at second wedding ceremony in Italy
- Imelda May deletes tweets in support of 'respectful' pal Johnny Depp amid Amber Heard trial
- Dara Ó Briain slams Dublin Airport as a 'mess' with 'insane queues'
- Bonnie Ryan serenaded from her balcony ahead of 'dream' Italian wedding
- Kylian Mbappe: ‘I talked to Liverpool, my mum loves them – but things were not over for me at PSG’
- Limerick boss Billy Lee braced for Kerry ‘tidal wave’ led by ‘special talent’ David Clifford
- Thousands of medical procedures cancelled as lab scientists strike for two more days
- Major questions linger for Rory McIlroy as Séamus Power believes he has the game to win a Major
- New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag believes he can 'break City and Liverpool’s stranglehold'