| 15.6°C Dublin

back John The 2 Johnnies receive warm welcome after announcing they will be back on-air

'Thank you for yer support everyone. We will be back on air Monday 14th March 3-6pm'

Close

Johnny McMahon and Johnny O’Brien are The 2 Johnnies

Johnny McMahon and Johnny O’Brien are The 2 Johnnies

Johnny McMahon and Johnny O’Brien are The 2 Johnnies

The 2 Johnnies have received a warm welcome after announcing that they will be back on-air later this month. 

The comedy duo posted a message on Instagram that simply stated: “Thank you for yer support everyone. We will be back on air Monday 14th March 3-6pm.”

Rozanna Purcell left a series of hand clapping emojis in response while fellow 2fm star Jennifer Zamparelli replied: “Looking forward to having you both back,” alongside a red heart emoji.

Another messages reads: “Yous are class well done can’t wait to hear you on the air again, everyone makes mistakes we are all human love #the2johnnies.”

It follows what the comedy due described as a “horrendous” week they endured after facing criticism for airing “offensive” comments on their RTÉ 2fm drivetime show.

The comedy duo, whose real names are John O’Brien (Johnny B) and John McMahon (Johnny Smacks), caused controversy when they used a segment of themselves reacting to controversial and sexist car bumper stickers in their promotional material for their new radio gig.

The pair issued an apology and RTÉ announced that they had been taken off the air following the backlash, just three days after launching their new show.

Discussing the past few days, the 2 Johnnies said that they had no idea where their future lies with RTÉ.

“It’s horrendous,” Johnny Smacks said on their weekly podcast.

“I woke up on Thursday and turned on Ireland AM. I was watching it as normal and they were going through the front pages and there’s me and you on the front page.

“My stomach just sunk when I read the headline. I was like, ‘F**k sake, this is not what we set out to do.’

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“It’s awful. It has been a f**king s**t week. We are obviously taken off air on 2fm, we don’t know what is going to happen there.”

The pair said that the worst thing about the controversy over the past few days was how much it upset their families.

“It is s**t for everyone,” they said.

“S**t for us personally, for everyone in the podcast and who work for us, for our families like, Jesus.

"It is horrendous, like. It is an awful feeling to have to ring your mam and have her crying down the phone and your sister and people saying it to her.

“It is a horrendous thing and I hope nobody has to go through what we went through for the last few days.”

They added: “But we are going to stay doing this podcast, and stay being us, and we are going to learn from this.

“And we will be better. We understand that we got it wrong and we won't get it wrong again. Nobody in this world is perfect.”

RTÉ has already stated that the comedy duo merely breached social media guidelines and will return to the station in a fortnight.

In a statement, the national broadcaster said it had “engaged intensively” with The 2 Johnnies in respect of the “breaches of our social media guidelines”, the standards expected with RTÉ content and the challenges of moving from an unregulated space into one where regulations apply.

RTÉ made no reference to the sexist material in its statement.

Dan Healy, Head of RTÉ 2fm said: "We reviewed the content and found that our social media guidelines were breached.

"We took this very seriously. So seriously that The 2 Johnnies were taken off air.

“They have apologised and we've been talking since about where we go from here. They are aware of the standards we expect and are absolutely committed to upholding them.

"We are looking forward to working with The 2 Johnnies as we work together to bring a fresh approach to drivetime.

"That's the job they were taken on to do and the show we want to offer the audience. We're going to continue working on this in advance of the show returning to air on Monday 14 March.”

The 2 Johnnies, John O’Brien and John McMahon, said, "On the back of what was a very intense week, and having issued an apology and clarification of the events which occurred, we are extremely excited about returning to our daily drivetime show.

"We had a great welcome at 2fm last week and are eager to work with Dan and the 2fm family again, acknowledging the lessons we’ve learned and committing to put these into action.

"Coming from a different environment it is a privilege to get the chance to have a national conversation five days a week, and we appreciate that with this comes great responsibility and a lot is now expected of us.”

The duo said another staff member put the video together and say they didn’t see it before it was published.

The presenters said their intention was to condemn the slogans but said they were not “clear enough in our condemnation of them."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy