super mahers Singing Kildare sisters land deal with the man who helped launch Whitney Houston
Kildare sisters set for stardom
When Dave Maher was a teen he took a shot at stardom with The Maher Family band on Britain's biggest TV show, Opportunity Knocks.
Hosted by Hughie Green, Opportunity Knocks on ITV attracted 25 million viewers - and led to instant fame for lead singer Dave in 1978.
The Maher Family Band, from Drogheda, which also featured his dad, Joey, sister, Linda, and brothers Mick and Eddie, were crowned winners on that year's show.
Pop idol Dave, who had just turned 15, then toured the UK with his dad and siblings, packing out venues as fans flocked to see the Irish stars of Opportunity Knocks.
Today, opportunity has come knocking again for Dave and his own children - daughters Stacey (18), Robyn (17) and Ruby (11) - who have now been taken under the wing of the man who steered pop legend Whitney Houston to superstardom.
Ricky Blaskey spotted the Maher family's potential for global appeal after hearing their new song, Lullaby For The World, which was co-written by You Raise Me Up songwriter Brendan Graham.
Lullaby For The World has connected with people around the globe who are hailing it as a superb uplifting song.
"Like Whitney, The Mahers have a genuine likeability factor and a unique persona, story and sound - plus a global market waiting to embrace them," Blaskey says.
Dave, who lives in Newbridge, Co. Kildare, with wife, Vivienne, and their daughters, has performed with his family on TG4's search for Ireland's most talented family, while daughter Ruby was a contestant on The Voice Kids UK last year.
But he says that the family can't believe their good fortune to be picked up by Blaskey.
"He was the mastermind behind her launch into the super league, and hopefully he'll do the same for us. To break a new act today is incredibly hard, so with Rick guiding us please God we'll get lucky."
- See The Mahers Music on Facebook.
Download the Sunday World app
- Lawyer says prosecutor â€˜had no evidenceâ€™ and McGregor got no special treatment as sex assault case dropped
- Linda Martin reveals her years of living with Louis Walsh and how he helped her after break-up
- It's the birth 'D' party of the year as rocker Van Morrison pays tribute to President Higgins
- Dublin musician Luke Thomas tells of his rise, fall and rise again in music business
- Singer Imelda May reveals she is set to make her 'dream' acting debut in Fishermanâ€™s Friends 2
- IRA spy story tipped to book Netflix deal after Reese Witherspoon's nod of approval
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer picks out a key quality in his Manchester United players as they beat Burnley
- Steven Gerrard eyeing domestic double as Rangers beat Celtic in Scottish Cup
- Pat Spillane Opinion Watching Dublin is like watching Manchester City - they win but they are very boring
- Romantic Irishman stuns girlfriend with drone proposal by scenic west Cork clifftop