Late debate Ryan Tubridy accused of misogyny by Derry Girls actor Jamie Lee O’Donnell
"It's always quite misogynistic even if it's unintentionally..."
The Late Late Show host Ryan Tubridy has been accused of misogyny by Derry Girls actor Jamie Lee O’Donnell.
Appearing on the show on Friday, O’Donnell who plays Michelle Mallon in hit Channel 4 drama Derry Girls, called Tubridy out for asking her about her age.
“This might be a rude question, you don't have to answer - but can I ask you how old you are?" Tubridy said.
"I'm 117. I'm very, very wise,” she joked.
He pressed her on the subject again asking: "Would you consider telling me what age you are?"
"This is the thing about it that gets on my nerves a wee bit, no disrespect,” she began.
“It's always quite misogynistic even if it's unintentionally because men don't get the same scrutiny in their career."
Ryan tried to redeem himself by telling her: "I would definitely have asked the male actor the same question too."
To which she replied: "You say that now but there's nobody here to take your word for it."
"I was saying that you are great characters playing teenagers,” Ryan said, defending himself.
“That's what I was getting at - the fact that you're of a certain age that play teenagers and do it so well.”
"Actually there was a compliment coming there... please don't misunderstand,” he continued.
Flustered by her comment he said: "I'm done with that question, I'm going to move on. I can read the mood when I see it."
Taking to Twitter, fans commended Jamie for how she handled the question.
“Ryan Tubridy hoping the ground opens up beneath him as Jamie-Lee O'Donnell calls him out on his misogynistic question on her age, she was well able for him,” one person said.
“Ryan Tubridy has just been put in his box by Jamie Lee O Donnell,” added another.
A third said: “Ryan Tubridy seeing his life flash before his eyes after Jamie Lee O’Donnell pointed out the age question is misogynistic #LateLateShow.”
- Niall Horan 'humbled' by fan's mother in hilarious TikTok clip
- Maura Higgins explores Paris on 'fairytale' trip with mystery man
- Vogue Williams joins TikTok with clip of her kids meeting newborn son Otto
- Conor McGregor and Dee Devlin flash watches worth €607k at exclusive Cannes event
- Joanne McNally reveals she met new boyfriend on celeb dating app Raya
- Thomas ‘Bomber’ Kavanagh now sharing jail with Julian Assange, ISIS terrorists and the Grindr killer
- Man hospitalised and one arrested after fight in busy Dublin Airport terminal
- Roy Curtis Opinion How Shane O’Donnell and Clare are again threatening to become the story of the hurling summer
- For Blues' ace Michael Darragh Macauley says, ‘Dublin are going well and will be in the mix’
- Erling Haaland told to adapt his style of play as Manchester City eye move for Kalvin Phillips