| 11.8°C Dublin

radio silence RTE refuses to comment on any future role for former 2fm DJ Eoghan McDermott

The former radio star shared a legal letter on Twitter that acknowledges that false allegations were made against him on social media

Close

Eoghan McDermott

Eoghan McDermott

Eoghan McDermott

RTE has said they had "no comment" to make when asked today if there was any future role for former 2fm DJ Eoghan McDermott.

The 38-year-old had been absent from the spotlight since last February, when he suddenly disappeared from the 2fm Breakfast show – which he hosted with Doireann Garrihy.

Yesterday, he shared a legal letter on Twitter that acknowledges that false allegations were made against him on social media.

In a tweet issued yesterday afternoon Mr McDermott wrote that a few months ago, "false allegations were made about me."

“Despite not being investigated or verified, these allegations were spread widely, the effects of which I am still processing," he wrote. "I hope the below can close this chapter. "

The publication of the legal letter lead to speculation on social media that the former DJ might return to the national broadcaster.

But today, a spokesman for RTE said they had no comment when asked about any future role for McDermott.

“RTÉ confirms that Eoghan McDermott will not be returning to RTÉ 2FM. His contract is due to expire shortly."

Mr McDermott posted the letter that revealed how the ex-2FM DJ made “sincere efforts to resolve this matter over the last few months in a manner that can ensure that our client retains her anonymity”.

In the letter sent from solicitor firm Mary Cowhey and Co, it states that “during the course of internet postings and a number of tweets published through an anonymous Twitter account in March 2021, our client made false allegations against your client, Mr McDermott.

“These remarks arose out of a relationship which they had some years previously, in or around October 2010.

“Our client accepts that there were a number of serious falsehoods contained in her publications, which have caused distress to your client and those closest to him.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“Our client sincerely regrets publishing the inaccuracies contained in these publications and acknowledges that they have had a harmful effect on your client and those close to him.”

It adds: “For the record our client accepts without reservation that she was above the age of consent at all times that she and Mr McDermott met or engaged in a physical relationship, contrary to her original claim.

“She acknowledges the severity of this false claim and retracts it unequivocally.”

Close

Doireann Garrihy and Eoghan McDermott at the 2FM launch in 2019. Photo: Kinlan Photography

Doireann Garrihy and Eoghan McDermott at the 2FM launch in 2019. Photo: Kinlan Photography

Doireann Garrihy and Eoghan McDermott at the 2FM launch in 2019. Photo: Kinlan Photography

Further on the letter adds: “Our client also accepts that it was wrong for her to retweet and tweet unfounded allegations of sexual assault by third parties.

“Our client also accepts that it was entirely false to allege that your client engaged in illegal drug use in a work-related video.”

The letter states that their client also deleted the statements published both on Twitter and Reddit.com and adds that the client hopes "that the above will bring the matters identified in your correspondence to a close.”

McDermott tweeted alongside the letter: “At the request of and with consideration for the other party to this dispute, I will not be commenting any further on this matter.”

McDermott has also filed papers against Twitter International Unlimited Company on Tuesday.

Close

Eoghan McDermott

Eoghan McDermott

Eoghan McDermott

In March 2021, we revealed how McDermott was due to part ways with RTE's 2FM after six and a half years with the station.

At the time, the 37-year-old radio DJ was one of the national broadcaster’s brightest stars having worked across radio and TV since joining them in June 2014.

“The shock decision comes after the star took unplanned annual leave nearly two weeks ago and has not been on air since,” we reported.

Close

Doireann with her former co-host Eoghan McDermott.

Doireann with her former co-host Eoghan McDermott.

Doireann with her former co-host Eoghan McDermott.

Eoghan joined the station from Spin FM and quickly built up a name for himself on the national airwaves thanks to his successful weekend morning show.

He was soon moved to DriveTime but two years ago was moved once more to the coveted morning slot where he presented the Breakfast Show with Doireann Garrihy.

Together they formed a partnership that saw them picking up the ‘Best Breakfast Show’ award at last year’s IMROs.

RTE later confirmed that Eoghan McDermott would not be returning to host his radio show on 2fm.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy