Early Retirement Kellie Harrington plans to 'settle down' in new home with wife Mandy Loughlin
Kellie and Mandy purchased their first home together in Fairview, north Dublin, just days before their wedding last week
Kellie Harrington has revealed that she is set to retire from boxing at 34 to “settle down” with her new wife Mandy Loughlin.
The Olympic gold medallist revealed that professional boxing is “not for her.”
Appearing on the Dermot and Dave show on Today FM, the newlywed said she was not considering competing at a higher level.
“I want to have a bit of a life. I’m going to finish up when I’m 34 and that will be me done and dusted.”
“I'll go up to my club and I'll still train,” she continued.
“It’s not me walking away from the sport, I’ll still be training because I need to do that, I think it's great for your mental health.”
“But I’ll still tip away… only so I can eat more cakes and takeaways,” she joked.
“Professional boxing is not for me it's a business and I want to settle down proper after Paris (Summer Olympics 2024), if I get there and if I don't get to Paris I’ll settle down even sooner,” the 32-year-old said.
It comes after she and Mandy purchased their first home together in Fairview, north Dublin, just days before their wedding last week.
After years of struggling to get a mortgage, the boxer grinned as she posed for a photo with the keys to her new pad in a Facebook post shared by DNG estate agents.
DNG wrote: "Our senior negotiator Rachel Cunningham, DNG Fairview is delighted today to hand over the keys to the wonderful Kellie Harrington and wish her all the happiness in her new home."
Later in her Today FM interview, Kellie revealed that she does not have contact with her former team mate and pro-boxing champion Katie Taylor.
“I haven't had any contact with Katie over the years,” she said.
“We used to be on the same team together. The last time I seen Katie was probably at the world championships in 2016 just before she turned professional.”
“I support her all the way, she's fantastic.”
“What she's doing in the pro ranks, is brilliant.”
“But we’re on two different journeys. I'm on mine and she's on hers and we're two different people.”
Opening up about her marriage to long term love Mandy Loughlin on Saturday Katie said she feels a bit older.
“I still feel the same, I feel a little bit older already though.”
“It was absolutely amazing, it was a fantastic day. You know the Irish weather, we got the four seasons in one day, but we got a good bit of sunshine with us throughout the day which was amazing.”
“And we had the wowows (dogs) with us as well, so it was nice,” she said.
The boxer is not on honeymoon as she's getting ready for the world championships.
“There’s no rest for the wicked,” she said.
“I’m getting back on track this week,” she explained. “But you just have to manage what your eating but not restrict yourself too much.”
- 'The Hurler' director says he kept filming with a concussion during scene with Marty Morrissey
- John Compton on life as a model, owning an agency, being wiped out in crash and fighting back
- Bride-to-be Bonnie Ryan lands in Italy with fiancé John ahead of wedding day
- Conor McGregor wears daring purple satin jacket to Cannes Film Festival bash
- Saoirse Ronan and Dua Lipa tipped to star in Barbie movie with Margot Robbie
- Three men quizzed by detectives following major drug seizure in East Belfast
- Man held over violent gun raid at Irish jewellery store
- Kevin De Bruyne and Phil Foden win Premier League player of season awards
- Home of mother of murdered drug dealer James Whelan hit in early morning firebombing
- Saoirse Ronan is back in black for Cannes red carpet with boyfriend Jack Lowden