plea deal Irish actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers to avoid jail following drink driving incident
The 44-year-old crashed his car in Malibu, California, and when police arrived on the scene after reports of a solo road collision, Jonathan showed signs of being intoxicated
Irish actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers is set to avoid jail after he was hit with 2 DUI charges, and another charge for reckless driving in November 2020.
The 44-year-old crashed his car in Malibu, California, and when police arrived on the scene after reports of a solo road collision, Jonathan showed signs of being intoxicated.
He then failed a sobriety test administered at the scene of the incident.
Rhys Meyers was then arrested for misdemeanour DUI and was put behind bars.
The following day it was confirmed to Sunday World by a Malibu police officer that he was released from custody.
According to TMZ, the Dubliner will avoid jail after making a plea deal with prosecutors.
After pleading guilty to the charges laid he was sentenced to 1-year probation, and ordered to pay a $500 fine (€447) and must complete an alcohol education and counselling program.
The Bend It Like Beckham star's battle with alcoholism has been well documented over the years.
It is believed the Tudors actor has had six stints in rehab the latest occurring after a reported air rage incident in 2018.
In 2018 he was reportedly detained by police at LAX airport after getting into a verbal altercation with wife Mara Lane and using an e-cigarette on an American Airlines flight.
In July of that year he opened up about his battle with alcohol, saying he does not “suffer from alcoholism, I suffer from an allergy to alcohol”.
Meyers married Lane in 2016 and they have a three-year-old son, Wolf.
Following the air-rage incident Lane shared an Instagram video showing Wolf playing in a swimming pool.
She captioned the post: “I feel since so many of our lowlights seem to find their way on the web, fair to share some happy moments so when Wolf is older, he can search/find/see/remember the happies.”
- 'The Hurler' director says he kept filming with a concussion during scene with Marty Morrissey
- John Compton on life as a model, owning an agency, being wiped out in crash and fighting back
- Bride-to-be Bonnie Ryan lands in Italy with fiancé John ahead of wedding day
- Conor McGregor wears daring purple satin jacket to Cannes Film Festival bash
- Saoirse Ronan and Dua Lipa tipped to star in Barbie movie with Margot Robbie
- Police take down gang that had smuggled drugs into Ireland hidden in Leen Bakker furniture
- Irish soccer heroes presented with medals by President Michael D Higgins on Late Late Show
- Revealed: Face of Irishman jailed in UK for raping woman he met on Plenty of Fish
- Premier League permutations: Plenty to play for at top and bottom on final day
- David De Gea eager to end season to forget for Manchester United on winning note