No Shea-me Greg O'Shea admits rugby career left him 'broke' despite winning Love Island
Greg said that he would be earning more money if he didn’t return to his rugby Sevens career after his stint in the Love Island villa.
Greg O’Shea has admitted that he’s making nowhere “near as much money” as he should be after winning Love Island three years ago.
The Limerick native took the crown back in August 2019 with Amber Gill, and the pair split the coveted £50,000 prize between them.
However, Greg said that he would be earning more money if he didn’t return to his rugby sevens career after his stint in the villa, adding that he made “somewhere between 60 and 100 grand” last year.
“Most of my pay came from brand deals and ambassadorships with companies,” he told The Times.
“I’m on no way near as much money as I should have had coming off the back of Love Island, but I made a choice to come back to sport; I’m happy with that choice.
“I’ve been broke the whole time. Sevens rugby was my daytime job until I retired after the Olympics. We get paid below minimum wage.
“The top fellas are on 18 grand a year, and you’re training full time. For most of us, our families had to take us back in and help us live so that we could get to the Olympics.”
Continuing, he said: “I went on Love Island, and I won that big chunk of money. I got brand deals on the back of it. I got a few big ambassadorships, and I’ve gotten money from them, but I’m still petrified of having no money. I even have my Love Island money sitting in a savings account.
“I feel fortunate for a 26-year-old Irish guy to be where I am financially. For the career I’ve done since I was 18, to have money in my back pocket, that is lucky, but it’s only because I went on Love Island.”
The Olympian admitted that he regrets spending money on expensive gifts for ex-girlfriends after splitting from British influencer Kate Hutchins.
“I don’t buy myself anything fancy or expensive. I always buy my girlfriends really expensive stuff, stupidly, but I never spend on myself,” he said.
“My best mate, sisters and mother have killed me for this: I bought a lot of expensive gifts for my ex-girlfriend.
"I bought her a lot of designer stuff and took us away on trips. It was more to make her happy, and was a bad idea in hindsight.”
- John Compton on life as a model, owning an agency, being wiped out in crash and fighting back
- Bride-to-be Bonnie Ryan lands in Italy with fiancé John ahead of wedding day
- Conor McGregor wears daring purple satin jacket to Cannes Film Festival bash
- Saoirse Ronan and Dua Lipa tipped to star in Barbie movie with Margot Robbie
- Toy Show star Saoirse Ruane 'recovering' after successful tumour removal surgery
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta