| 10.8°C Dublin

Tali-banned Galway funny man Sir Stevo laughs off 'sh***y' Taliban joke that earned him Facebook ban

'It’s nice the Taliban are back. I missed them. ISIS just didn’t do it or me'

Close

Cheeky comic Sir Stevo

Cheeky comic Sir Stevo

Cheeky comic Sir Stevo

Galway funny man Sir Stevo Timothy has laughed off his temporary Facebook ban after he made a “shitty” joke about the Taliban. 

The controversial comic got in trouble with the social media giant for make the joke, in which he said he was glad the turbaned warriors were back.

“I got blocked for 28 days, on my personal profile on Facebook for making a joke about the Taliban,” he said.

“I just did a shitty joke, I said it was nice to have the Talban back. And that was enough to get me blocked.

I got a notification from Facebook about community standards. It said, ‘Account restricted. You can’t post for 30 days..community guidelines.

The joke was, ‘It’s nice the Taliban are back. I missed them. ISIS just didn’t do it or me.

“So that was my hideous joke. It doesn’t actually mean anything but I suppose I was trying to say the Taliban are the lesser of two evils. But it’s pulling the piss out of both of them. Because clearly I don’t miss the Taliban, but ISIS are worse.

“It was like the Stewart Lee joke where he was on about Islamic fundamentalists and he said something like you miss the days of the IRA because they were gentlemen bombers. At least they ring before they killed ya, it was something like that.

“It’s just the way Facebook is now,” he added, “you can get banned for something you said years ago, even between friends slagging each other.

“They’re under pressure to clamp down on everything from satire to tongue in cheek comments. I’ll probably be banned again but I’ll move on.

Sir Stevo Timothy added that his focus now is on a boxing extravaganza he is organising for September 11 in the Clayton Hotel Galway when he goes up against Paddy Barnes on the main card.

He is going ahead with the Irish Wheelchair Association charity fundraiser, even though he had been hoping MMA star Conor McGregor would take part.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

McGregor was scheduled to box Al Foran, a McGregor impressionist, but after his leg break in the fight against Dustin Poirier he was unable to make it.

Speaking to sundayworld.com Sir Stevo, said it had been “stressful” trying to get everything into place but he was considering a “bigger” event featuring McGregor later in December.

In the meantime has unveiled his strategy for taking on Barnes.

“It’s going to be brilliant,” he enthused. “It’s on Saturday week now so you’ll probably be writing about my funeral that day.

“I’m going to try and get one punch in on Paddy on the night and if I do I’ll be happy.”

Asked if that was his only strategy, he replied, “well, that’s my goal, hit him once and hopefully knock him out.

It’s as good a strategy as any against a former professional two-time Olympic medal winner. I was going to get a retractable bat coming out of the wheelchair and give him smack of it, or just go with the horseshow in the glove trick.

“Conor is taking part in the second show so we just have to wait and basically plan it and see where it's going to be and when.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy