'no shame' Dublin chef slams 'influencer' who asked for free dinner at upcoming charity event
The 'influencer' asked a number of Dublin restaurants for a free dinner or March 8th
Top Dublin chef Grainne O'Keefe has slammed an influencer for asking for a free dinner at an upcoming charity event.
O’Keefe is set to host a special dinner at Mae Restaurant in Ballsbridge, along with chef Danni Barry, on International Women's day, March 8th.
The set menu with matched wines costs €150 per person, with the proceeds going towards building an online directory of female food producers in Ireland.
Sharing the message in part, Grainne expressed her anger at the email sent in by an influencer with more than 90,000 followers.
“I was just wondering if you might be up for gifting me a dinner for two in your wonderful restaurant in exchange for some lovely media coverage?,” the request read.
"March 8 would be awesome if possible."
Sharing the screenshot, the chef said: “‘Can I please have free stuff from you on International Women’s Day even though the proceeds (that I won’t contribute to) are going towards a directory supporting women in the industry (that I don’t care about)...'
"NO. Also, this is a verified account with 90k+ followers."
Dublin restaurant Dax also responded, revealing that they too had the same request.
“Not sure how they will eat in Mae and then Dax on the same night! Some people have no shame. Verified and also not a food pic on their grid!”
Not sure how they will eat in Mae and then Dax on the same night! Some people have no shame 🙄verified and also not a food pic on their grid! pic.twitter.com/kkPaEDY8d9— DaxRestaurant (@DaxRestaurant) February 18, 2022
Sharing her response to the “influencer,” Grainne wrote: “Great to see that you would like to dine with us (and many other Dublin restaurants that you sent the same message to).
“International Women’s Day dinner in Mae is to celebrate women in the food industry and we won’t be gifting tables for it.
“If we are, it will be to women who have had a positive impact in the restaurant industry in Ireland.
“Also, as you don’t seem to have any Irish food following, I don’t see how your ‘lovely coverage’ would benefit the restaurant.
“We are looking for a kitchen porter to come and join our team, so should you want to pay for your meal, I’ll pay you for a trial (I don’t believe in free labour).”
Bastible in Leonard’s Corner responded to Grainne and said that the influencer also got in touch with them: “She copied and pasted the same message to us!! How will she fit it all in?,” they said.
- Toy Show star Saoirse Ruane 'recovering' after successful tumour removal surgery
- Limerick singer Denise Chaila to feature on Ed Sheeran song
- Sky announces new shows including a Colin Farrell sci-fi movie and a Father Ted reunion
- Gardaí investigate shooting incident close to set of new Liam Neeson movie
- Conor McGregor claims his 'left hand is a Glock' in bizarre Twitter rant
- Revealed: Faces of Irish roof scammers who conned elderly Australians out of $434k
- The top 10 moments of the Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney libel trial so far
- Woman left disabled after allegedly contracting disease from parrot secures further €1m payout
- Gisele ‘takes the reins’ when it comes to parenting with husband Tom Brady
- Belfast man who raped woman he met on Tinder in her home handed seven-year sentence