| 13.4°C Dublin

back on the floor Dancing With The Stars set to make a comeback on RTE

The show’s return is expected to be confirmed at the RTÉ Autumn Launch in August

Close

Lottie Ryan on DWTS

Lottie Ryan on DWTS

Lottie Ryan on DWTS

Fans of Dancing With The Stars will be delighted to hear that there are rumours the popular show is set to make a comeback. 

The RTÉ programme was cancelled earlier this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, but it is due to return to our screens after its enforced pandemic break.

“Dancing With The Stars is coming back,” one insider said.

“ It’s probably going to be on a scaled down version to previous years but the crew are booked which is the first step.”

The show’s return is expected to be confirmed at the RTÉ Autumn Launch in August.

Show boss Larry Bass has said Irish people need DWTS “more than ever”.

“I have never been more sure that there is a huge audience waiting out there for us,” he has been quoted as saying.

“Not doing DWTS last year, left such a void in all our lives but I know if I have all these talented people back again, we can make this magic again which the Irish people seem to love so much”.

Last month Larry said the glitzy show is the “best” he has ever produced.

“We would love to be doing that show again,” he said. “It is the single best show we’ve ever produced and so many people relied on it and from us as a company, not being able to do it has had a huge impact on all of our staff.”

It is expected that when the show returns it will still be presented by Nicky Byrne and Jennifer Zamparelli.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Last July RTÉ announced that the show wouldn’t be going ahead in 2021.

In a statement, RTÉ’s Head of Entertainment, John McHugh, said: “We are extremely disappointed not to be in a position to produce series five of Dancing with the Stars in 2021.

“After much discussion, we feel the risks are too high with a production of this scale to proceed with the series in 2021 and we hope to revisit the show in 2022.”

“We understand that the many fans of the series will be disappointed with this decision. However, given the unprecedented challenges posed by Covid-19 and our duty of care, we believe this decision is the right one.”

“We will continue to work with Larry Bass and ShinAwiL on other projects and will be conducting ongoing discussions with them and the BBC to try and bring back Dancing with the Stars in 2022.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy