Court Support Shane MacGowan urges Johnny Depp to 'stay strong' amid Amber Heard defamation trial
Depp is suing ex-wife Heard alleging defamation and damage to his Hollywood career as a result of her op-ed in 2018 in The Washington Post, in which she alluded to being abused by the actor without naming him directly.
Shane MacGowan has told his pal Johnny Depp to “stay strong” as the actor’s $50m (€46.3m) defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard continues.
Depp is suing ex-wife Heard alleging defamation and damage to his Hollywood career as a result of her op-ed in 2018 in The Washington Post, in which she alluded to being abused by the actor without naming him directly. The trial started on April 11 with jury selection and is expected to last a total of six weeks.
Heard countersued her ex-husband for double the amount, accusing him of allegedly orchestrating a “smear campaign” against her and describing his own lawsuit as a continuation of “abuse and harassment”.
The Oscar-nominated actor will reportedly testify today, Tuesday 19th April, and will return to the stand on Wednesday to be cross-examined by Heard’s attorneys.
Stay strong brother we are with you pic.twitter.com/qH63dEjzXw— Shane MacGowan (@ShaneMacGowan) April 19, 2022
And Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan, has shown his support for his “brother” Johnny as he prepares to take to the stand today.
Taking to Twitter, Shane shared a photo of the pair and wrote: “Stay strong brother we are with you.”
Last week, the singer’s wife Victoria Mary Clarke also posted a message on her Instagram page in support of Depp.
Clark shared a picture of Depp alongside Gina Deuters and the message: “Sending so much love to Gina @girldeuters today!!!” with the hashtag #johnnydeppisinnocent.
Depp and MacGowan have a close friendship that goes back more than 30 years, with Depp producing the 2020 documentary about the musician’s life and career: Crock of Gold – A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan.
Speaking at a press conference ahead of the film’s release back in September, Depp recalled the moment he met MacGowan for the first time and said that he “fell in love with him.”
The Pirates of the Caribbean actor said: “When I met Shane, he was negotiating a pool table. There was a drink in this hand, a pint, and in this hand, there was a guitar.
“And he was teetering, balancing back and forth trying to negotiate which way to fall. I watched him do that for about 15 minutes.
“Then I was introduced to him, before he fell, and from that moment on you just knew... there are moments in life when you know this will happen one time and one time only, when you get the opportunity to spend time with greatness.
“Having known him a long, long time I can only say I fell in love with him the second I met him and I’m still in love with him to this day.
“His wife Victoria is a wonderful partner for Shane, they’re best friends, and I’ve seen that continue over these many years under all kinds of duress,” he added.
- Rihanna and ASAP Rocky welcome baby boy, according to reports
- Coleen and Wayne Rooney miss last day of 'Wagatha Christie' trial to go on holiday
- What are the legal issues in the Rebekah Vardy v Coleen Rooney libel battle?
- Chariots Of Fire composer Vangelis dies aged 79
- Bride-to-be Bonnie Ryan lands in Italy with fiancé John ahead of wedding day
- In profile: Amy Broadhurst and Lisa O’Rourke – Irish boxing’s golden girls of Istanbul
- Footage emerges of Patrick Vieria in a confrontation with an Everton fan
- Sean McGoldrick Opinion The complete idiot’s guide to the race for Sam Maguire as favourites emerges
- Rory McIlroy gives his verdict after sparkling start at PGA Championship
- Tiger Woods’ not happy with cameraman as he limps through PGA Championship