Statement Manchester United's Mason Greenwood remains in custody following alleged assault arrest
United said the 20-year-old forward 'will not return to training or play matches until further notice'
Manchester United player Mason Greenwood remains in custody following reports of his arrest on suspicion of rape and assault on Sunday after a woman posted visual and audio allegations on social media of an incident.
United said the 20-year-old forward “will not return to training or play matches until further notice."
The police did not name Greenwood but the statement about the investigation was provided after inquiries about the footballer.
“Greater Manchester Police were made aware earlier today of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence," the force said in a statement. “An investigation was launched and following enquiries we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault.
“He remains in custody for questioning. Enquiries are ongoing."
Greenwood progressed through the United academy into the first team and he extended his contract last year through 2025.
“Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind,” the club said.
There was no public response from Greenwood several hours after the allegations were first posted.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust posted on Twitter: “The club has now confirmed that Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice. MUST fully support the decision of the club in this regard.”
A spokesperson for sportswear giant Nike, which sponsors Greenwood, said in a statement: “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”
- Rebekah Vardy claims she was made ‘scapegoat’ at Euro 2016 ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial reveals
- How the UK’s Eurovision entries have fared in the charts
- Vardy complained to husband of being ‘scapegoat’ at Euro 2016, texts reveal
- Author Anne Bronte was skilled rock collector, researchers reveal
- Harry Styles: What the critics are saying about his new album, Harry’s House
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta