| 12.2°C Dublin

Mac it happen Irish comic plans bigger charity boxing extravaganza after Conor McGregor forced to pull out of event

McGregor was scheduled to box Al Foran, a McGregor impressionist, on September 11 in the Clayton Hotel Galway

Close

Cheeky comic Sir Stevo

Cheeky comic Sir Stevo

Cheeky comic Sir Stevo

Sir Stevo Timothy has said that a charity boxing extravaganza he is organising will go ahead next month, even though Conor McGregor had to pull out as the headline main event. 

Galway funny man Sir Stevo was hoping the MMA star would take part in the event being held for the Irish Wheelchair Association but after his leg break in the fight against Dustin Poirier he is now unable to make it.

McGregor was scheduled to box Al Foran, a McGregor impressionist, on September 11 in the Clayton Hotel Galway

But McGregor tweeted today: “Guys, the September date is too early for me. I am still in recovery. My docs/physical therapy team out here advice (sic) me to stay.

Close

A comic strip poster for the event

A comic strip poster for the event

A comic strip poster for the event

“I reckon late October at earliest. But maybe November/December too. It is hard to say at this time a concrete date. But I’m in! Wait for me please!”

In response, Sir Stevo said he was left with a bit of a quandary.

“I'm kinda stuck with the Sept 11th date for the original event due to other constraints but I have no issues with organising another bigger one for Dec,” he tweeted. “Please let me know as my head is about to explode!”

However, he added: “It will happen lads don't worry.”

McGregor then replied: “Hahaha quality! Give me time guys, I’m in! Just need to focus on this recovery for the next while first before I can commit to a date! Have some cool things planned for event tho!

Speaking to sundayworld.com Sir Stevo, said it had been “stressful” trying to get everything into place but he was considering a “bigger” event featuring McGregor later in December.

“Before the leg break he was on for it,” Sir Stevo said. “Conor said he’d do it with Al Foran and that was incredible but then with the leg break he said that he might be able to do it in a wheelchair. But we weren’t one hundred cent cure.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“We were really keen for that to happen as it’s wheelchair boxing match after all. And then his publicist said he couldn’t take part.

“I don’t think it’s safe to fly in his condition and he has the best doctors in the world over in LA so he’ll be staying on there for a while. But as you’ve seen from his tweets he is going to do it, it will be on a later date. So we’re thinking now that we’ll organise a second one for December and go ahead with this one in September because we're kind of tied into it now, with sponsors and everything, so I can’t go and postpone it.

“We’ll do this one and then go all out for a huge one in December in a bigger venue.

In the meantime, the event scheduled for September 11 in the Clayton Hotel Galway will feature Stevo Timothy himself against Paddy Barnes on the main card.

Also on the bill is Darren Conway and Al Foran who was originally due to fight McGregor.

The actor John Connors will take on Gerry Lyonsey who does comedy sketches while Welsh champion Enzo Maccarinelli will fight Kieran Byrnes from Glasgow who uses an electric wheelchair.

Comedian Fabu D is up against Dylan Moran and famous announcer Ricky Wright will MC from the ring.

Guest judges include Owen Colgan, Jamie Jay Carr and John Redmond.

Sir Stevo also revealed that ever since McGregor said he’d do it they were getting a great reaction.

Close

Conor McGregor.

Conor McGregor.

Conor McGregor.

“Once he did say he'd take part then everyone jumped on it,” he said. “And here I am, a compete amateur fighting a two-times Olympic medallist. Give me a bit of credit. I’m probably going to get the head bate off me but come on, let’s raise money while we’re at it.

“Myself and Paddy Barnes are planning to do something that as far as I know has never been done before,” he said previously.

"An Olympic Winner versus a completely amateur wheelchair user. Paddy is going to get into a wheelchair for a charity fight with me.

“It may seem like a completely lunatic move but as usual there's method in the madness.

"For Paddy, it'll be an opportunity to experience what it's like in a wheelchair albeit if only for a short time.

"It'll give me the opportunity to prove that wheelchair users can do anything they set their minds to and to break the stereotype of the wheelchair user as helpless and deserving of pity.”

Sir Stevo revealed that he organises similar events in memory of his mother who was a wheelchair user.

Stevo added: “I like to kinda keep her memory alive through things like this. I’ve met Conor before and we've talked a few times and at the level of famous he’s at you can retweet things and it brings a massive focus on it."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy