| 3.8°C Dublin

Con comment Dana White says he hasn’t spoken to Conor McGregor about alleged Rome punch up

'Obviously I’ve seen what you guys have – you guys have seen more than me, actually, to be honest with you'

Close

UFC supremo Dana White and Conor McGregor

UFC supremo Dana White and Conor McGregor

UFC supremo Dana White and Conor McGregor

Dana White has said he hasn’t spoken to Conor McGregor about the alleged punch up in Rome over the weekend where the Dublin MMA star was accused of breaking a famous Italian singer’s nose. 

The UFC president said he doesn’t know “what the truth is” and I doesn’t “know exactly what happened”.

“We talked about it a little bit today in matchmaking – I don’t know enough about it,” White told reporters post-fight at his Contender Series 44.

“I honestly don’t even know enough about it to comment on it. Obviously I’ve seen what you guys have – you guys have seen more than me, actually, to be honest with you. I haven’t talked to Conor, so I don’t know what the truth is. I don’t know exactly what happened. So to comment on it, I really can’t.”

Close

Francesco Facchinetti

Francesco Facchinetti

Francesco Facchinetti

The Notorious had his son baptised in the Vatican on Saturday before the alleged assault on Francesco Facchinetti took place at a party later that night. Facchinetti claims that the incident was unprovoked and unexpected after the two had enjoyed time together throughout the night,

“[McGregor] attacked me without motivation after we talked for more than two hours and we also had fun together,” Facchinetti wrote on Instagram.

“I could have shut up and not said anything to anyone, but since I’m here to tell it, I must say that that person is really violent and dangerous.”

Facchinetti is an immensely famous DJ with over a million Instagram followers, and has presented four series of the Italian X Factor as well as serving as a judge on the country’s edition of The Voice.

The 41-year-old’s wife Wilma also posted on Instagram about the incident, detailing the circumstances further.

“Luckily, he [Francesco] was very close so he [McGregor] couldn’t load up on his punch,” she said. “Francesco flew back, fell on the table, and then on the ground. The first thing that came to mind was ‘are we kidding? Is it a show?’

“Then I was paralysed,” she added. “I turned around and saw that his friends were holding him against the wall because he wanted to continue beating Francesco. Then they took him away. I turned on the light and the guards turned them off. Francesco was bleeding. I wanted to help him and the guards chased us away.”

Close

Conor McGregor was in Rome with his partner Dee Devlin for their son Rian's christening

Conor McGregor was in Rome with his partner Dee Devlin for their son Rian's christening

Conor McGregor was in Rome with his partner Dee Devlin for their son Rian's christening

 

McGregor has not spoken about the incident, instead taking to social media to take a bizarre pot shot at Boris Johnson’s ex-political adviser Dominic Cummings, describing him as a “lanky streak of p*ss”.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The Brexiter wound up McGregor after offering the Dubliner’s arch-rival Nate Diaz some UFC advice.

Diaz had tweeted, “I’ll fight somebody” on October 15, which prompted the 49-year-old strategist to reply: “Do not sign new UFC contract, you will make more cash outside AND @danawhite will come do a deal at some point for trilogy @TheNotoriousMMA fight, but outside you’ll have much more leverage & make more $. Look how they screwed @GeorgesStPierre, now waiting for contract to expire.”

While McGregor didn’t directly respond to that advice, he replied to an article on his own site, The Mac Life, that reported how Diaz had been “advised against signing new UFC deal by British political adviser Dominic Cummings”.

Taking to Twitter, McGregor stormed: “Advised by who? Does this lanky streak of p*ss think he business savvy or something?”

He then took aim at Diaz, “Hey bro. You’d 15 fights in the ufc and were on 20k to fight 20k to win hahahaha 15 f*cking fights. In the ufc! Eyelid hanging off your head and handed a 20k check pre tax. Know who made you.”

Cummings was dismissed by Boris six months after he infamously undertook a 260-mile round trip during the height of the Covid-19 lockdown in May 2020.

We was widely ridiculed after the trip to Durham to “test his eyesight” but later came out against his former boss who he slammed for his handling of the pandemic.

McGregor and Diaz have often taken to social media to take each other down.

Comparing Diaz to his brother Nick, McGregor recently wrote on Twitter. “Nate your boxing is piss compare to Nick’s. We been fed garbage with your sloppy shots the last few years. Can see the clear difference between the two brothers after last night. Balance, composure. Another level the big bro is on to you. I made you.”

“U can’t fight at all member your leg,” Diaz fired back.

The pair have faced each other twice before in the Octagon. The Stockton native won the first fight at UFC 196 via a rear-naked choke, handing the Irishman his first loss in the promotion.

The pair met again at UFC 202 with McGregor wining the rematch via a majority decision after both fighters slugged it out until the end of the fifth round.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy