'Bright light' Rugby player Jack Jeffery (27) dies after being tackled scoring try
“Jack was the most kind-hearted, generous and beautiful son who enriched the lives of everyone who was lucky to know and have met him."
Tributes have been paid to a “kind-hearted” rugby player who died after being injured in a tackle as he scored a try for his team.
Jack Jeffery (27) from east London, was taken to hospital after being injured in the seniors’ league game for Evesham Rugby Club against Berkswell and Balsall on Saturday.
His father Glenn announced his tragic death on Facebook writing: “It is with great sadness that I need to let you know we lost our beloved son Jack yesterday.
“Jack passed away doing the thing that he loved the most, playing rugby.
“Jack was the most kind-hearted, generous and beautiful son who enriched the lives of everyone who was lucky to know and have met him.
“He will be so missed by his family and friends. RIP our beautiful boy.”
He was taken to University Hospital Coventry where he tragically died.
David Summerfield, chair Evesham Rugby, said that Jack was “too good for the All Blacks”.
He said: “Jack was adding another try to his phenomenal record and during the act and subsequent challenge of scoring he was injured.
“A more committed, loyal ‘Clubman’ is hard to find. He would often return from London for training and was always at the heart of club activities.
“He served his club, his teammates and the county with distinction and provided much satisfaction to the club supporters in knowing exactly where the whitewash was.
“As a club, we have been overwhelmed by the messages of support and goodwill from the rugby community. Jack was calm, respected and highly thought of.
“Our club and community have lost such a bright light.”
- Boy (3) dies after suspected dog attack in Rochdale, Manchester
- New Margaret Thatcher statue egged within hours of being installed in her home town
- Concert tour launched at Royal Albert Hall inspired by Major Tim Peake
- Finland announce intention to apply for Nato membership
- Man risks own life to save toddler hanging from eighth floor window
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker ‘legally wed at California courthouse’
- Premier League title harder to win than Champions League – Ralph Hasenhuttl
- Frank Lampard urges Everton to maintain their desire – but cut out red cards
- No jail for peeper caught watching woman on toilet in Dublin Burger King
- Man found injured in Dublin playground fighting for his life in hospital