| 13.5°C Dublin

breaks silence Mason Greenwood's alleged rape victim thanks people for support after 'difficult' week

The 18-year-old student broke her silence as the Manchester United star was released on bail

Close

Mason Greenwood

Mason Greenwood

Mason Greenwood

The young woman who has accused Mason Greenwood of rape has thanked people for their support while describing the last week for her as “difficult”. 

The 18-year-old student broke her silence as the Manchester United star was released on bail.

Greenwood had been arrested after pictures and audio circulated on social media, alleging that he attacked a woman. He spent three nights being quizzed by police after he was re-arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.

Meanwhile, his alleged victim said she will not be making any more statements pending the police investigation.

She first made allegations against the striker (20) on Sunday, posting photos and audio allegedly detailing her claims of abuse.

“I’m grateful to everyone that has sent messages of support and encouragement – thank you,” she has now posted on Instagram.

“The last few days have been very difficult and I’m taking a break from social media while the police make their investigations.”

Greenwood has not been seen since he was released on bail pending further investigation on Wednesday.

However, reports claims that he has appeared to have toughened up security at his luxury mansion in Bowdon, Greater Manchester, after being released.

Two security guards were seen standing watch outside the home and an expert was also pictured arriving to install a £350 home security system.

The 75,000 a week striker was suspended indefinitely from Utd hours after the allegations surfaced on social media.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Manager Ralf Rangnick touched on his striker's arrest at a press conference ahead of the FA Cup clash with Middlesbrough.

He suggested players have been discussing the incident when asked if it had been "distracting".

The German added: "We had a good normal week of training with five training sessions including today's training, obviously it was a topic within the team but they're human beings and Mason was part of the group before we had our break.

"It was a good week of training, we could train under normal circumstances and we are looking forward to the game tomorrow."

Rangnick, who took the reins at the Premier League club last year, also hinted at Utd being forced to hold showdown squad talks after Greenwood's arrest.

Meanwhile, England manager Gareth Southgate has ruled out even considering him for selection until all legal proceedings are over, while Man Utd have also reiterated that Greenwood will not play for the club or train until further notice.

This week United confirmed supporters will be able to exchange their shirts with Mason Greenwood's name emblazoned on the back for free.

The club removed all merchandise related to the forward from their website on Monday, with members of their furious fanbase returning their replica shirts to the megastore at Old Trafford.

Nike have suspended their sponsorship deal with Greenwood, while United's shirt sponsors TeamViewer said they are "closely monitoring developments".

Official partner Cadbury, meanwhile, will not feature him on their marketing products.

Greenwood has not played for England since being sent home after his debut against Iceland in a Nations League game in September 2020.

He and Manchester City’s Phil Foden were told to leave for breaking Covid quarantine guidelines to meet two women in the team hotel.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy