Caving tragedy Man dies in cave diving accident in Germany
The man was part of an experienced four-person team.
A 57-year-old man has died while diving in a cave in the German state of Bavaria, police said.
The man was part of an experienced four-person team diving inside a cave near Dietfurt, which belongs to the long system of Muehlbachquell caves in southern Germany, news agency dpa reported.
A rescue team involving firefighters, police and mountaineers were unable to save the man.
Police said the man died in an accident about 700 metres away from the entrance inside the water, but investigators were still trying to find out what exactly happened.
The other three cavers were not injured.
Download the Sunday World app
- 'Long road ahead' if Tiger Woods looks to return to golf says surgeon behind Michael Schumacherâ€™s 1999 comeback
- Day-long celebration to mark work of artist and writer Alasdair Gray
- Covid-19 can survive on clothing for up to 72 hours, study shows
- Tiger Woods undergoing surgery after he suffers 'multiple leg injuries' in car crash
- French actor Gerard Depardieu charged with rape and sexual assault
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at Haaland interest despite the presence of agent Raiola
- Tyson Fury reveals Anthony Joshua fight is not close to being agreed despite earlier claim
- Pep Guardiola demands more from his players as their relentless winning run continues
- Funnyman Billy Connolly to publish autobiography in the autumn
- Associates of jailed gangland killer Brian Rattigan targeted after number of raids in south-inner city