| 15.7°C Dublin

Family's pain Malaysian court to decide on Nora Quoirin's family's appeal against death by misadventure ruling

Nora’s parents said she was likely kidnapped because she had mental and physical disabilities and would not have wandered off on her own

Close

Nora Quoirin with her mother Meabh

Nora Quoirin with her mother Meabh

Nora Quoirin went missing in August 2019.

Nora Quoirin went missing in August 2019.

/

Nora Quoirin with her mother Meabh

The Malaysian High Court is to make a decision next week on an application by Nora Anne Quoirin's family to have a finding of death due to misadventure revised. 

In January of this year the country’s coroner’s court ruled that no one was involved in the French/Irish 15-year-old teenager's death and it was a case of misadventure.

Coroner Maimoonah Aid ruled out homicide, natural death and suicide and said the teen, whose body was found near a Malaysian jungle resort where she vanished while on holiday, had likely got lost after leaving her family’s cottage on her own.

A total of 48 witnesses, including the teenager's parents, Meabh Jaseprine Quoirin and Sebastien Quoirin, testified during the inquest that began on Aug 24 last year.

It examined the disappearance of Nora from the Dusun eco-resort in southern Negeri Sembilan state on August 4, 2019, a day after her family arrived for a holiday.

Close

Nora Quoirin went missing in August 2019.

Nora Quoirin went missing in August 2019.

Nora Quoirin went missing in August 2019.

After an extensive search, her body was found on August 13 beside a stream on a palm oil estate about 1.6 miles from the resort.

The preliminary post-mortem report stated that the death of the teenager with disabilities had no criminal elements, and she was confirmed to have died from gastrointestinal bleeding due to prolonged hunger and stress.

However, Nora’s parents said she was likely kidnapped because she had mental and physical disabilities and would not have wandered off on her own.

Nora was only wearing underwear when she went missing, but her body was found naked.

The coroner noted the family’s contention this lent credence to the possibility of sexual assault but said an extensive autopsy could find no such proof, nor evidence of struggle marks or smothering.

The coroner described that possibility as a theory and said it would be a breach of her duty to speculate on third-party involvement without any evidence.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

The family's lawyer, Louise Azmi said judge Azizul Azmi Adnan will give the verdict at 5pm on June 16.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy