Joe Biden now leading Donald Trump in Georgia
A victory in the swing state would give the former vice president the 270 electoral votes nationwide he needs to win the presidency.
Democrat Joe Biden is now leading President Donald Trump in the battleground state of Georgia.
Victory in the state would take him over the 270 threshold of electoral college votes needed to win the White House.
By Friday morning, Mr Biden overtook Mr Trump in the number of ballots counted in the battleground, a must-win state for Mr Trump that has long been a Republican stronghold.
Mr Biden now has a 917-vote advantage.
The contest is still too early for The Associated Press to call.
Thousands of ballots are still left to be counted, many in counties where the former vice president was in the lead.
An analysis showed that Mr Bidenâ€™s vote margins grew as counties processed mail ballots cast in his favour.
There is a potential that the race could go to a recount.
Under Georgia law, if the margin between Mr Biden and Mr Trump is under half a percentage point of difference, a recount can be requested.
- Irishman stuck in Australia finally gets permission to visit premature son in New Zealand
- Bill Turnbull taking leave of absence from Classic FM show for â€˜health reasonsâ€™
- US student (20) dies after choking during hot dog eating competition
- Human remains found in park where items belonging to Brian Laundrie were located
- Baking queen Mary Berry to celebrate damehood with sandwich
- Kinahan cartel fugitive Gary Vickery who faces drug importation sentence is arrested in Spain
- Number of Covid outbreaks in schools rises sharply as one cluster linked to 19 cases
- Cara Delevingne's father reveals he named her after Aer Lingus in-flight magazine
- MLA urges vigilance after Derry students report drink spiking incidents
- Two tourists who attacked taxi driver during Dublin weekend break banned from Ireland