| 4.8°C Dublin

tragedy Four children die after wind lifts bouncy castle into air at Australian school

'On a day when these children were meant to be celebrating their last day of primary school, instead we're all mourning their loss'

Close

Emergency services at the scene of the tragedy in Devonport, Tasmania

Emergency services at the scene of the tragedy in Devonport, Tasmania

Emergency services at the scene of the tragedy in Devonport, Tasmania

Four children were killed and several more badly injured in Australia after strong winds lifted a bouncy castle into the air during end-of-year school celebrations, causing them to fall 10 metres.

Two boys and two girls in their final year of primary school died from the accident in Devonport, in the northwest of Tasmania state on Wednesday morning. Five more children were in hospital including one in a serious condition, authorities said.

There was no immediate explanation for how the jumping castle became airborne, and no other details were released of the children's identities except that the incident took place at Hillcrest Primary School. Students in the last year of primary school, Year 6, are typically aged 10 or 11.

The accident would rank among Australia's deadliest involving an amusement ride, and brought on a wave of disbelief and mourning.

"On a day when these children were meant to be celebrating their last day of primary school, instead we're all mourning their loss," Tasmania Police Commissioner Darren Hine told reporters.

"Our hearts are breaking for the families and the loved ones, schoolmates, teachers of these young people who were taken too soon.

Tasmanian premier Peter Gutwein said "it is simply inconceivable that this shocking tragedy has occurred" and promised a thorough investigation.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the incident as "shattering and heartbreaking".

"Young children on a fun day out, together with their families and it turns to such horrific tragedy at this time of year. It just breaks your heart," Morrison told reporters.

Hine, the police commissioner, said after an initial investigation the accident would be referred to a coroner for an inquest.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy