Boris Johnson pays fine and apologises for birthday bash during Covid lockdown
Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak have paid fines for attending the Cabinet Room bash.
The British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak have both paid fines and apologised for attending Johnson’s birthday bash in Downing Street during Covid restrictions.
Mr Johnson said it “did not occur” to him that the gathering in the Cabinet Room on June 19 2020 to mark his 56th birthday was a violation of coronavirus rules, but that he “now humbly accepts” he did breach Covid-19 laws.
Mr Sunak, meanwhile, said: “I deeply regret the frustration and anger caused and I am sorry.”
Carrie Johnson, the Prime Minister’s wife, was also issued with a fine which has been paid.
Scotland Yard, according to a statement published by No 10, said Mr Johnson had been fined because “on June 19 2020 at the Cabinet Room…. between 14:00 and 15:00” he had been part of “a gathering of two or more people indoors”, which was banned at the time.
The Prime Minister, speaking to broadcasters at Chequers, said he “fully respects” the outcome of the police investigation and that he accepted “in all sincerity that people had the right to expect better” from him.
'SERIOUS ASSAULT' | Police release CCTV of man after teen ‘seriously injured’ in attack outside Irish pub
allegations | US teen (17) accused of raping drunk girl whilst friends ‘filmed and laughed’
NO SHOW | Dublin teen accused over garda car ramming ‘refused to get out of bed’ for court
'dommy mommy' | Canadian woman facing sack over OnlyFans says teaching doesn’t pay enough
'beautiful soul' | Tributes pour in following death of model and frontline nurse Judy Fitzgerald
'still in touch' | Eamonn Holmes says ‘life’s tough’ for young man at centre of Phillip Schofield affair
Russell Crowe tribute to Ryan Tubridy
'MISCOMMUNICATION' | Kildare mum says doctor ‘forgot’ to tell her about cancer diagnosis
probation | Irish Navy veteran who bent recruit over and slapped her repeatedly on buttocks walks free
BENZ BONANZA | Karim Benzema considering mega €100m-a-year offer to move to Saudi Arabia