New start Austrian village changes its name from 'F*cking' to 'Fugging'
Residents of an Austrian village of 'Fucking' have formally decided to change the town's name to 'Fugging'.
The town council announced the decision last night which comes after frequent thefts of the town sign by tourists, .
Mayor Andrea Holzner told Austrian broadcaster Oe24 that the name would be changed to 'Fugging' from January 1, 2021.
The small community in Upper Austria has a population of more than 100 people and has been pushing for a name change for years.
The name of the town, which lies north of Salzburg near the German border, has no meaning in German.
Locals have grown frustrated by the thefts of the town signs by tourists and of people photographing the sign.
Over the years, locals have described discovering naked couples in front of the sign, and one local entrepreneur came under fire after setting up a business selling Fucking postcards.
- 16 Irish citizens and dependents evacuated from Afghanistan, Simon Coveney confirms
- Irishman stuck in Australia finally gets permission to visit premature son in New Zealand
- Bill Turnbull taking leave of absence from Classic FM show for â€˜health reasonsâ€™
- US student (20) dies after choking during hot dog eating competition
- Human remains found in park where items belonging to Brian Laundrie were located
- Imelda May angered by UK college's 'Don't Get Spiked' message
- Covid passes could be compulsory for hospital and nursing home visitors
- Restrictions on partners attending maternity hospital appointments to be lifted
- Vogue Williams' husband Spencer 'prayed' to her during desert marathon
- Former Cork council worker jailed for six months after releasing rats into office