| 2.8°C Dublin

No words Alec Baldwin attends private memorial for female cinematographer he accidentally shot

'I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred'

Close

Alec Baldwin (Seth Wenig/PA)

Alec Baldwin (Seth Wenig/PA)

Alec Baldwin (Seth Wenig/PA)

Alec Baldwin has attended a private memorial for the Halyna Hutchins, the female cinematographer he accidentally shot on his movie set. 

The 42-year-old was tragically killed on Thursday when Baldwin fired a prop gun that was loaded with live ammunition.

Baldwin, who later tweeted an article that he “was told prop gun was safe before fatal shooting” took his place at the private memorial in Santa Fe on Friday night with Hutchins' husband Matthew and her 9-year-old son.

It was reported that grief counsellors were present at the service.

Baldwin had spoken about the tragedy on Twitter on Friday, saying that here are “no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours.

“I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred.

“I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

Hutchins' grieving husband Matthew said that he had spoken with the actor.

“I have spoken with Alec Baldwin and he is being very supportive,” he said.

A public memorial is to be held in Albuquerque tonight while a GoFundMe page has been created by the International Cinematographers Guild Local 600 to raise funds to support her family.

In the article that Baldwin tweeted it states that the prop gun that was handed it to him was declared safe by the production’s assistant director Dave Halls' who shouted “cold gun” on set, meaning that the prop gun was safe to use and did not contain any live ammo, according to an affidavit.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Documents suggest neither Baldwin nor Halls knew the weapon was loaded with live rounds.

The details have emerged as reports suggest the head armourer on the film had said she didn't feel ready to do the job on a previous movie.

Two crew members told the Los Angeles Times a weapon had been unintentionally fired twice in the days before the fatal shooting.

Baldwin's stunt double had been told the prop firearm wasn't loaded, including with blanks, before he fired the two rounds last Saturday, according to two crew members who spoke to the paper.

The Los Angeles Times is also reporting that half a dozen camera crew workers had walked off set in protest against working conditions hours before the fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on Thursday.

The employees felt safety protocols were not being strictly adhered to on the set in Santa Fe, New Mexico, sources told the paper.

They added that at least one camera operator had complained to a production manager about gun safety.

Rust Movie Productions has said it was "not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set" and will conduct an internal review of procedures.

Hutchins was struck in the chest and director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was hit in the shoulder after Baldwin discharged the prop firearm.

The 42-year-old cinematographer died, while Mr Souza was injured and has since been released from hospital.

Investigators obtained the warrant on Friday to document the scene where the incident took place.

The weapon that was fired was taken as evidence, along with Baldwin's blood-stained costume for the film.

Investigators also seized prop guns and ammunition that were being used on the set.

Meanwhile, the film's script supervisor, Mamie Mitchell, who was standing next to Ms Hutchins when she was shot, has said.: "I ran out and called 911 and said 'bring everybody, send everybody'.

"This woman is gone at the beginning of her career. She was an extraordinary, rare, very rare woman."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy