tragic death | 

Witness discovered Nora Quoirin's body 50m from hut rescuers had passed by, inquest told

Teenager Nora Quoirin with her mother, Meabh

Sunday World Reporter

A witness at the inquest into the tragic death of Nora Quoirin in Malaysia has told how he discovered her body 10 days into a search operation for her.

Chong Yue Fatt, 57, said he screamed out to alert other team members when he saw the body of the French-Irish teenager.

“As soon as we found the body, we all tried to contact the authorities but we couldn’t as there was no coverage, so I told an Indian man in our team to leave the area and tell his father to call the fire brigade to the location.

“While waiting for the authorities to arrive, we reminded each other not to go near the body so as not to compromise or destroy the evidence. We waited quite long, around one to two hours.”

The witness said he saw the body around 50m from a hut the search team had previously passed by.

He said she was lying on a rock as though she was asleep.

He added that he saw other things around the hut including food containers and drink bottle.

Chong said he decided to search the area after a monk from Thailand spoke to his friend Chan by phone in relation to the case

“The monk told Chan to find the girl near areas with a river,” he said.

Another witness Muhammad Firdaus Kamarudin, 35, said he saw a female with brown hair, fair skin and of medium build bathing in a river in the area on August 4.

“I was then on my way to work at the Gunung Berembun water plant by motorcycle at about 7 pm and that was when I saw, at a glance, a woman without her clothes on taking a bath with her back facing me,” he said.

He said he told the Civil Defence Force two days later he heard about Nora being missing.

The 15-year-old, who had physical and mental challenges, disappeared on August 4 last year one day after arriving in the country with her family for a two week holiday.

Her naked body was found on August 13 around 2.5km from the resort.

Police have say there was no evidence of foul play and say the post mortem revealed she died of intestinal bleeding due to starvation and stress.

Her parents say there are unanswered questions in the case.

Today's Headlines

More News

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices