| 4.7°C Dublin

Revenge fears Security for number of ex-Quinn staff 'tripled' after Kevin Lunney convictions

Last week, three of the four men were convicted of the abduction and torture of Mr Lunney outside his Co. Fermanagh home.

Close

Kevin Lunney

Kevin Lunney

Kevin Lunney

Security around a number of former Quinn employees has been 'tripled' after three men were convicted of torturing Kevin Lunney amid revenge attack fears, a source has told the Sunday World.

Kevin Lunney (51) - as well as other directors of Mannok, which was formerly Quinn Industrial Holdings - has had to review security following the convictions.

Sources in Co Fermanagh told the Sunday World thugs linked to 'Dublin Jimmy' Cyril McGuinness continued to threaten locals and vowed to return to take revenge if any of the four men charged were convicted.

Last week, three of the four men were convicted of the abduction and torture of Mr Lunney outside his Co. Fermanagh home.

All four were accused of falsely imprisoning and intentionally causing harm to Mr Lunney.

Alan O'Brien (40), of Shelmalier Road and Darren Redmond (27) from Caledon Road, both in East Wall, Dublin, were found guilty of both counts.

Also convicted was another 40-year-old man who can only be known as YZ for legal reasons.

A fourth man, Luke O'Reilly (68), of Mullahoran Lower, Kilcogy in County Cavan, was acquitted by the Special Criminal Court in Dublin. The court made it clear that notorious thug Cyril 'Dublin Jimmy' McGuinness was also identified as being involved, though he died when cops raided his house in November 2019.

Close

Cyril McGuinness, who died during the investigation into the abduction and torture of Kevin Lunney. Photo: Collins

Cyril McGuinness, who died during the investigation into the abduction and torture of Kevin Lunney. Photo: Collins

Cyril McGuinness, who died during the investigation into the abduction and torture of Kevin Lunney. Photo: Collins

Now fears of revenge attacks on ex-Quinn employees have been raised.

"It was the talk throughout Fermanagh that the people who organised the attack on Kevin Lunney made it clear if any of the men were convicted, they would return to attack again," a well-placed source said.

"It might have just been scare tactics to get people to withdraw statements, but they let it be known they'd be back.

"These ones convicted are only a small part of the whole gang behind the attack. There are several people out there who were involved in planning the attack who have never been caught."

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Security around ex-Quinn employees has remained high since the shocking incident but extra police - on both sides of the border - have been tasked recently to make sure nobody is harmed.

"Police are fully aware of the danger he's facing now some of the gang have been convicted."

The three men convicted were remanded in custody and will face a sentence hearing on November 22, when they face several years in prison.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy